Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jacoblee23

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2011
I'm really intrigued deep site having a 128gb I paid air 2 and a brand new 13" Mac book pro with retina. I have a movers coupon and a $50 off edu coupon so I could get a 128gb version for around $500 before taxes.

Cnasty

macrumors 68040
Jul 2, 2008
I'm really intrigued deep site having a 128gb I paid air 2 and a brand new 13" Mac book pro with retina. I have a movers coupon and a $50 off edu coupon so I could get a 128gb version for around $500 before taxes.

I am also intrigued as I try to sell my iPad Air2 and get a SP3 or a surface 3.

Hoping for some real world reviews.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
It has a larger screen and faster processor if that matters.

Doesn't the Surface 3 use an Atom processor? That's pretty slow isn't is?

Still, the S3/SP3 intrigues me. If I had excess cash laying around, I'd snatch one up.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Doesn't the Surface 3 use an Atom processor? That's pretty slow isn't is?

Still, the S3/SP3 intrigues me. If I had excess cash laying around, I'd snatch one up.
Yeah, generally Atoms are slower. I too have been intrigued by it. But compared to the prices of alternatives and the hypothetical iPad pro possibly being announced, I'm holding off for a while. I'm having a lot of fun with the Switch 11, at nearly 60% of the price of the Surface 3.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Here's some benchmarks that I found googling around
http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-3-benchmarks/

It shows the SP3 to be quite a bit faster then the Surface. Given the price and depending on the apps you want to run, the Surface 3 may be a better deal, given how you want this as some sort of secondary machine.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I cannot just buy the Surface 3 standalone so the price gets upped considerably for me to even consider it for my use.

----------

Yeah, generally Atoms are slower. I too have been intrigued by it. But compared to the prices of alternatives and the hypothetical iPad pro possibly being announced, I'm holding off for a while. I'm having a lot of fun with the Switch 11, at nearly 60% of the price of the Surface 3.

Hhmm. I will have to take a look see at the Switch 11.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I cannot just buy the Surface 3 standalone so the price gets upped considerably for me to even consider it for my use.

----------

Hhmm. I will have to take a look see at the Switch 11.
Here's a link at the Microsoft store to the model that I have (bought it on that site for $449, and the review that I wrote for it "Poor Man's Surface Pro 3") and a link to a video review by MobileTechReview.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Can I please be one of the first to say that I think the Surface 3 doesn't live up to the hype?

I picked one up at my local MSFT store yesterday (from a sales rep wearing an Apple Watch with Pink Sport Band btw :D). I was impressed at first with the accuracy of the pen and the palm rejection and decided to take the plunge.

I got the $499 base with a $49 pen to use with it.

Without a Type Keyboard though, this device is slow, clunky, and doesn't properly work with my daily day to day needs. It takes me multiple tries to get the keyboard to open by hand and register as me tapping on the URL bar in Firefox. Furthermore, apps take a while to load and the user experience is certainly not something I'd expect from the Surface (I quite like the Surface Pro).

I must say, however, that the build quality is superb. The device looks and feels great in your hand. I really liked that Microsoft paid a lot of attention to the feel of the Hardware. I hope with Windows 10 they can solve their software problems too - I may consider a Surface again when that happens (albeit with more RAM).

Trust me, I REALLY wanted to like it, but I think I'm going to have to return it. It's not worth my $601 after tax... The Asus VivoTab 8 is a better device in this tablet w/full Windows realm imho.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Can I please be one of the first to say that I think the Surface 3 doesn't live up to the hype?

I picked one up at my local MSFT store yesterday (from a sales rep wearing an Apple Watch with Pink Sport Band btw :D). I was impressed at first with the accuracy of the pen and the palm rejection and decided to take the plunge.

I got the $499 base with a $49 pen to use with it.

Without a Type Keyboard though, this device is slow, clunky, and doesn't properly work with my daily day to day needs. It takes me multiple tries to get the keyboard to open by hand and register as me tapping on the URL bar in Firefox. Furthermore, apps take a while to load and the user experience is certainly not something I'd expect from the Surface (I quite like the Surface Pro).

I must say, however, that the build quality is superb. The device looks and feels great in your hand. I really liked that Microsoft paid a lot of attention to the feel of the Hardware. I hope with Windows 10 they can solve their software problems too - I may consider a Surface again when that happens (albeit with more RAM).

Trust me, I REALLY wanted to like it, but I think I'm going to have to return it. It's not worth my $601 after tax... The Asus VivoTab 8 is a better device in this tablet w/full Windows realm imho.

Don't blame MS for Firefox issues, Mozilla stopped development of the Modern firefox browser and the desktop browser is atrocious with touch functions. You really should give IE11 a shot, especially the modern version, I absolutely love it and it works flawlessly with Win8. Although soon we will have Spartan which is supposed to work even better.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
Don't blame MS for Firefox issues, Mozilla stopped development of the Modern firefox browser and the desktop browser is atrocious with touch functions. You really should give IE11 a shot, especially the modern version, I absolutely love it and it works flawlessly with Win8. Although soon we will have Spartan which is supposed to work even better.

I'll give it another go tonight, but I still don't see myself keeping it. It just didn't really work for me - too slow. I'll probably look into a Pro 3 if I find the need to ink on PDFs frequently.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I'll give it another go tonight, but I still don't see myself keeping it. It just didn't really work for me - too slow. I'll probably look into a Pro 3 if I find the need to ink on PDFs frequently.

Internet Explorer is optimized for it so it's much faster.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I haven't had a chance to use the S3 yet, I have a SP3. But I've used a first and 2nd generation Atom processor in tablets and I never noticed they were slow, at least not for web browsing. I'm surprised you found that, especially with the 3rd generation Atom processor in the S3. I never had any issues loading 10+ tabs for example.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I haven't had a chance to use the S3 yet, I have a SP3. But I've used a first and 2nd generation Atom processor in tablets and I never noticed they were slow, at least not for web browsing. I'm surprised you found that, especially with the 3rd generation Atom processor in the S3. I never had any issues loading 10+ tabs for example.

I tried out IE last night and it was indeed about 100x better than Firefox. I also really liked the NTrig digitizer as it inks really accurately. I may rethink returning it, but its still not a perfect sell for me.

Altis

macrumors 68040
Sep 10, 2013
I tried out IE last night and it was indeed about 100x better than Firefox. I also really liked the NTrig digitizer as it inks really accurately. I may rethink returning it, but its still not a perfect sell for me.

I suspect it will be noticeably improved on Windows 10.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
I don't need one as I already have a MacBook Air and iPad Air 2 but I may well pick one up in the next few months. I'm also interested in seeing what the iPad pro has to offer.

americaroma

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
I got it on Tuesday but i will be returning it tomorrow. It is not a bad device but certainly not for me.

It is somewhat of a pc first and somewhat of a tablet second. I think it is great for someone that does not own a full computer nor a tablet. I though it would have been more portable than it really, will be getting an ipad mini instead.

modernaccord

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2015
Seattle, WA region
I got it on Tuesday but i will be returning it tomorrow. It is not a bad device but certainly not for me.

It is somewhat of a pc first and somewhat of a tablet second. I think it is great for someone that does not own a full computer nor a tablet. I though it would have been more portable than it really, will be getting an ipad mini instead.

My sentiments exactly. With deep sorrow (but not really), I shut it down, packaged it up, and slid it back into it's box for return. I'll be making the fateful trip to the Msft store this evening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.