has anyone got video out to work on the ipod touch? (with any cable/dock?)

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by BassistKing1, Apr 2, 2008.

1. BassistKing1 macrumors member

has anyone got video out to work with the ipod touch, using even an apple cord or dock? does it only work with apple cords and docks or will third party ones work as well? do you need the dock for it to work or just the ipod? and does it work on any firmware? thanks in advance for any help :D

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You don't need a dock, but you must use either the Apple component or composite adapters that connect to the dock port of the iPod.

I don't know of any third party video units that are compatible with the iPod Classic/3G nano/Touch/iPhone due to the new DRM chips in these iPods.

I don't know what firmware you need.

3. BassistKing1 thread starter macrumors member

well i bought a general ipod dock last year (i had an ipod nano before i bought my ipod touch) and it came with a video out cord, with the three rings and the red yellow and white cords for the tv. i tried it with my ipod touch, but couldnt figure out how to get it to work, with or without the dock. oh, and im on a 16gb ipod touch with 1.1.2 firmware, jailbroken.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You need the new cables for the most recent generation of iPods. This is because of the new DRM chips. The old dock should work, but I might be mistaken.

5. panadero macrumors newbie

Make sure you enable TV out in the 'Settings' too!

6. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Apple is charging a licensing fee for the dock chip that you ahve to have to get video out from an IPhone or Touch and possibly the new Classic and Nano.

IMO opinion this is just more evidence of the Apple greed philosophy. No existing iPod video dock will work. If 3rd part dock manufactures want to make a video dock for your Touch they have to pay Apple to license that chip. You are forced to buy either Apples limited (in variety) dock or cable or wait until a 3rd party vendor decides to make one. Your old dock that did support video from your old iPod is now obsolete. The only way you'll get video out of your Touch is to pay Apple some more money, either directly or through that 3rd party chip licensing fee.

4D