has anyone gotten a 24" ACD that was flawless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by btownguy, Sep 3, 2009.

1. btownguy macrumors 6502a

I ordered a 24" ACD refurb. It had a large piece of dust between the glass and the display. I returned it.

I ordered a 2nd 24" ACD refurb. It has a smaller piece of dust between the glass and the display, but it also has a couple of dead pixels. I'm going to return it.

I'm thinking of just going and getting a retail one. What's the deal? Will I be fighting this with the retail units as well?

2. foodle macrumors 6502

My refurb has no problems :)

It seems dust behind the screen is easy to fix and they can do that at the Apple store while you wait ...

3. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Where did you get this information? I called my local Apple Store and they told me they would have to send it off.

4. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

really wondering if it's worth it to try to get a retail unit. can anyone who owns a retail unit reply and let us know if you had any dust/dead pixels.

5. JGruber macrumors 6502

I bought 2 at the same time, both are in perfect condition, no dust, no dead pixels or anything, looks great, and never regretted buying them.

6. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Was that retail or refurb?

7. JGruber macrumors 6502

They were both retail. Only Apple product I have bought refurb was a AEBS.

8. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

9. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

at least I'll get $100 education discount, but man was I disappointed with my 2 refurbs. I really was expecting to get a flawless unit.

10. JGruber macrumors 6502

The only reason I bought 2 was because of a education discount, I ended up paying $649 each, but that was because our school ordered $75k+ worth of Apple goodies.

11. btownguy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, I returned both refurb ACD's due to dust & dead pixels. Went and bought a retail (new) ACD with my education discount and it's perfect. Very happy and will be keeping this one!

12. Durwood macrumors newbie

no problems here - other than I seem to be forever cleaning the screen.

13. foodle macrumors 6502

There are a number of forum posts (I forget if they were here, HardOCP, or Apple support forums) about people who brought their displays in for dust issues, and the in store techs just lift the glass off and clean it.

Example:
    http://discussions.apple.com/message.jspa?messageID=9099962

14. SqB macrumors 6502

quickie 24" acd/mini question

Is anyone using the new ACD with one of the new gen Mini's? It's not officially listed as one of the supported systems, but since it has the mini-dp, I don't see why it wouldn't work. Just wanted to get a confirmation before dropping any $. thanks in advance.

15. foodle macrumors 6502

Yes, I am using the 24" LED ACD with my new generation Mini with mini DP. Works fine. I just wish the Mini had two mini DP outputs so that I could run dual ACDs. Right now I'm stuck with running an NEC 2490WUXi off of DVI :)().

16. mcnallym macrumors 6502a

I also run a 24" ACD with a 2009 mini. Was originally purchased with a 2008Unibody MBPro.

Works fine out of the box. Connected to mini-dp and USB. Obviously can't use magsafe power connector with it.

24" Screen was flawless. Now in need of a clean, but that isn't Apples fault that I put my sticky hands over it.

17. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

I've got two flawless 24" ACDs hooked up to my Mac Pro. No dust, no bad pixels, etc.