Has anyone gotten their rMBP screen replaced through Apple?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LegendaryHero, Sep 23, 2013.

1. LegendaryHero, Sep 23, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2013

LegendaryHero macrumors newbie

So I've been experiencing the ghosting issue since I first bought my laptop back in 2012, but now I've noticed the effect is lasting a lot longer than it used to and is way more pronounced than it should be. I'm taking it to the Genius bar on wednesday and I'm wondering if anyones gotten their screen replaced and if anyone's had any issues after getting the replacement.

2. joec1101 macrumors 6502

While mine was still under warranty, I had mine replaced due to ghosting. Came with an LG, Apple Genius Bar replaced with a Samsung.

I've had no issues up until very recently - it now has a bright spot in the middle of the screen. Unfortunately, my warranty is now expired and Apple will not replace the screen unless I pay for the repair (almost $700.00).

As long as yours is under warranty, they will replace it, no problem.

If your warranty has not expired and you don't have Apple Care, I highly recommend you get it if you plan on keeping the computer for a few years. These screens are too damn expensive to have to pay full price for them.

3. Acronyc macrumors 6502

I had the screen on my 2012 15" rMBP replaced two months ago due to severe image retention. My first rev LG screen failed their test and there were no problems getting it replaced. They installed a Samsung screen. They sent it out to a service center on Friday afternoon and I had it back Monday morning.

As for the new screen, while I've only had it for two months its been fantastic. No problems to report so far. I found it to be a little warmer than the LG, but after a little calibration I was able to get it to match my preference.

I also second the option of getting Apple Care if you plan on keeping the computer for a few years. The screens aren't something you would probably want to pay full price for if something happens again down the line.

Also, this is not related to the screen at all, but I would suggest documenting the condition of your computer with the genius bar before you drop it off for repair and taking some time to look it over carefully after you pick it up. I dropped mine off in perfect condition, which they documented, but when I picked it up I didn't have time to check it over thoroughly before I left. Later in the afternoon when I used it for the first time since the repair I found that they had put five or so scratches on the bottom case right next to one of the screws. Maybe their screwdriver slipped. I thought about going back to complain, but once I left the store there's no way for me to prove that they did it, and the scratches aren't visible in regular use and don't affect the performance of the machine.

Good luck with the repair, hope you get a nice replacement screen!

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Have 2 15" rMBPs, both screens replaced by Apple. No problems whatsoever after that. My only issue was going an entire week without my MacBooks :p

5. gametime10 macrumors regular

I had a 2013 rMBP screen with cluster of dead pixels replaced recently. Dropped it off on a Monday at 10am, picked it up at 4:30pm. Came back with a perfect Samsung screen. The previous screen had a ding on the outer lid so it was nice to get that replaced also!

6. Cuesca macrumors newbie

Cuesca

Slight ghosting issue in June 2012 rMBP 15, got it replaced on October of that year.

7. pedrofan macrumors 6502

I got it replaced by apple too due to slightly image retention. Samsung screen is warmer and dimmer (I really hate it compared to the brighter and neutral LG) but at least it doesn't present image retention.

Samsung screen can be calibrated to be cooler but it looses even more brightness in the process.

8. nickandre21 macrumors 6502a

well i had a white patch on my samsung screen purchased this 15" rMbp three months back, i took it over and during the tests we noticed that it had image retention as well. They ordered the screen i could use the laptop till the screen came after 2 days 1 hour job to fix it and all is well only now i need to get my logic board replaced. Had a problem with the keycaps which apple replaced in warranty yesterday and the guy at the store said he needs to close that case first and wait two weeks to order a new board. Left usb port quit working.

9. BaggieBoy macrumors 6502

BaggieBoy

My 2012 rMBP (LG screen) was showing image retention but when I took it into my local Apple Store in the UK, it did not fail the official Apple test. So no replacement was authorised. However a couple of months later I started to get bright pixels appearing, took it back in and this time the screen was replaced (now a Samsung).

10. anzio macrumors 6502

I've gotten my rMBP screen replaced twice. The first time for image retention (it passed their test, but the genius witnessed the retention anyway and decided to replace it), and the second for a blown/dead pixel. Both times, I had the laptop fixed in about an hour or two.

11. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

I did. My screen would flicker when I had it at a certain angle. Really weird.

I gave it to the genius bar last Christmas Eve. I had it back in under a week. Super fast turn around.

Best part is that my LG screen got replaced with a Samsung one. :thumbup:

----------

Do the genius bars do screen replacements on the rMBPs? I thought they had to be sent to the depot.

12. anzio macrumors 6502

Wow, I'm sorry. I totally missed your response.

They've replaced mine twice now in store. No need for it to be sent out.

13. Shmanky macrumors regular

I got my display replaced and the replacement Samsung LSN154YL01001 is yellow tinted. I've been to the Genius Bar 3 times to complain about it and I will be going again soon.

[​IMG]

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Buy a hardware calibrator if you want accurate colors.

15. dastinger macrumors 6502a

dastinger

I'm about to receive my rMBP with a new screen (it needed replacement.. not due to ghosting) and am a bit nervous to see how it comes out in terms of colors. Can't do a thing about it anyway so I might as well just wait and see.

16. AzN1337c0d3r macrumors 6502

That's not yellow-tinted. Unless your idea of neutral-white is like 9000K+

17. laurihoefs macrumors 6502a

laurihoefs

Just calibrate the display to a different white point.

Schmanky, I know you have tried calibrating the display with a Spyder4Elite. What white point did you set during calibration, and what were the deviations reported after the calibration? If you went with default settings, your display is calibrated to ~6500K, which will seem warm compared to the default white point of many other displays (often ~9000K), and even some rMBP displays.

If you want to match the white point of another display, just use your Spyder4Elite to match the white points. The calibration wizard should even give you an option to measure the white point from another display, and then match to that. Or you can just set the target white point to 8000K or 9300K during the calibration, if you find 6500K to be too warm. Do the calibration on all your devices to the same white point.

I've tried the profile you posted in a previous thread, and it deviates only very slightly from my own current profile, with which my display reaches 6500K very accurately. It's not your "yellow" display that is faulty, it's the comparison that just has a different white point.

You've been posting about this issue since March, so let's try to get it fixed already.