Has anyone had an ING savings account?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Aniej, May 16, 2007.

1. Aniej macrumors 68000

Aniej

I am curious to hear about your experience with ING. Any problems or any great things? Maybe it is just me, but when they keep referring to "initial transfer" from checking account, it makes me a bit uneasy that they do not say what the amount is that is supposed to automatically transfer.

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I have one. It's great.

The initial transfer is just a couple of cents just to make sure all the details are right.

3. Aniej thread starter macrumors 68000

Aniej

awesome I think I am going to do it now. I was looking at the crappy interest rate I get from my bank and while I certainly don't use my savings account as my means to get a strong return, I would much prefer to be getting 4.5% than 0.83%

4. R.Youden macrumors 68020

R.Youden

Yeah its pretty good, painless some might say. Even for a student!

5. Macron macrumors newbie

I've with them for only a few months myself, but yeah the initial transfer is just a token amount to activate the account.

6. TexasMac macrumors member

I have had an ING savings account since late last year. So far everything has been great. The interest rate is so much better than I could get from a savings account at my bank. The initial transfer is just a small amount that they deposit into your checking account so that they can verify that you are who you say you are.

The only drawback that I can think of is that when you put money in the account it is not available to you for a few days. Also, when you withdraw money from the account it can take a couple of days for it to get to you.

Other than that it is great.

7. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I had an account with them and I never had any issues. I more recently switched to www.hsbcdirect.com because they are paying 5.05%.

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I've been with them for about 3.5 years now never, had any problems whatsoever. My parents, sisters, girlfriend, girlfriend's parents, girlfriend's sister, housemate, housmate's parents, several of my friends, are all with ING never heard any complaints.

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

In Australia, I get 6% with ING. :D I have around $12500 in the account right now (but uni tuition is effing expensive and needs to be paid in August), and I get around $45 in interest per month. Um.....that's "pretty good", considering how other banks want to charge me money.

10. beatzfreak macrumors 6502

I have an ING savings account and since I didn't need my all my money I put some into a 9 month CD account at5.25%. No problems, but I'm thinking of switching to HSBC because the rates are better.

11. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i love ING!

i have two ING savings accounts...one for emergency money and one for fun money. it's great, really. i love the fact that all the transactions are done online, and their site is so secure. i guess i've had these two accounts for over a year now, and i've never had issues with anything...even transfer time. i've always had my money transferred in and out within two days.

i think i've earned more interest this month than i earned for the entire year of 2005. ;) seriously!

my favorite thing is the ASP (automatic savings plan)...i have $20 taken out of my checking account bi-weekly and put into my ING account, and when money's going to be a bit tight, i just cancel the ASP and then restart it again when i'm able. you can pick from weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly automatic transfers. it's pretty nifty. :)

12. odinsride macrumors 65816

odinsride

I've had an ING savings account for 2 years now and am very pleased with them. Their customer support is top notch based on the 3 times I've had to call them.

13. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

yeah, i forgot to mention their customer service! i had to call them once, when i had to change my phone number on my account. i was beyond impressed with the customer service i received!

14. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

Yup, had mine for about 4 years now and I love it. I recently opened
    the new Electric Orange Checking account and I'm glad I did.
    I transfer funds from my regular checking every month to cover bills
    plus about $100.00 to help my account grow. I really like the auto paper
    checks too. :)

15. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Am using an HSBC online savings to save for a house and am thrilled with the interest and online management. Am less thrilled with their clunky security that tends to freeze me out of my account at least once a month.

OP -- the original "test" transfer is routine. We did the same thing with HSBC to establish the validity of the account from which we were transferring. I know it seems iffy (we were worried about it, too), but it's ok.

High interest savings "FTW," etc. ....

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

now to decide who i want to go with ING or HSBC.

was just about to set one up with ING this weekend and now there is HSBC who has better rates... hmmm...

17. adk macrumors 68000

adk

If you're referring to the "trial deposits," Those are two small deposits (ie $.19 and $.32) whose amounts you have to verify to prove that the checking account belongs to you and you have access to it.

I have an online CD with ING and an online savings with HSBC. Both have great customer service, but one difference I have noticed is that when I call ING customer service I get an american, versus when I call HSBC I get someone from india or something. They're still extremely helpful and I've never had any issues with understanding them or incompetence (cough cough, DELL!!), but if you're anti-outsourcing it's something to consider. Also, HSBC gave me an ATM card to use, I'm not sure if ING does that.

That said, HSBC is great and they pay a higher rate.

18. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've used ING for like 5 years now. They have traditionally offered the highest rates but HSBC is trying to buy market share. They'll be back in line with ING and others soon.

I also have an ING CD and an Investment Account to buy mutual funds. Great company to do business with.

19. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

i have one, too, and it is great indeed. the transfer shouldn't cause you worry; it's just to verify that said really is yours. either way, they're giving you money, not the other way around. i did something similar when i first opened a paypal account several years back.

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I blame all of you ING customers for this eyesore of a paint job.

21. tenbaseg macrumors newbie

Check out www.EmigrantDirect.com

They are super easy to use and offer some of the best rates out there.

I've been with them for a few years. No complaints and big interest. Win-win.

22. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

2 posts? coincidence or bias?

23. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

HSBC has nice rates! :)

Recently it has been as high as 6% :D

I've been a customer for a long time and have been very happy with HSBC.

24. savar macrumors 68000

savar

I've got ING, and it's really good. I'm thinking about getting rid of my traditional savings account altogether ...

I also looked at Emigrant and HBSC. I think all three are pretty similar in terms of rates and services. Right now ED and HBSC are a little higher than ING, but I think over time we'll see the rates all pretty much even out.

Any one of these three offers a far higher yield than traditional savings.