Has anyone had any keyboard issues with the MacBook Air 2018?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by chris372383, Nov 17, 2018.

1. chris372383 macrumors newbie

Has anyone had any keyboard issues with the MacBook Air 2018?

2. mwhitney13 macrumors newbie

Yeah, I got the new Air 2 weeks ago, and I'm already having the keyboard problems that were supposedly fixed by the new keyboard update. E, I O keys are either not registering or double typing. it's both annoying and so frustrating that I paid so much for a computer whose keyboard doesn't work because of a speck of dust after 2 weeks.

3. Wags macrumors 65816

Better take back right away and demand replacement not repair or just do return. Sounds like bought under extended holiday return timeframe

4. Kraizelburg macrumors regular

In my honest opinion this issue doesn't have anything to do with dust but a design flaw. I believe a keyboard can't operate in normal conditions with such a small travel.
    I believe apple knows the butterfly keyboard is just a big fail but they have to stick with it for a few generations to make everyone think that they don't make such mistakes design wise.

5. Wags macrumors 65816

And make .12 thicker laptop. :eek:

6. LunarFalcon macrumors regular

I've had mine for a week now and haven't noticed any problems with the keyboard, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I actually like the feel of the keyboard, so as long as no weird dust-related issues creep up, I'll be good.

7. Kraizelburg macrumors regular

Some people will like this type of keyboard others don't but the problem is that apple shouldn't have done a keyboard that may fail because is such a essential part of any computer.
    I was about to purchase the MBA 2018 last week but I just can't cope with the idea of having my fingers crossed.
    Some people complain about how dim it is the screen but for me the real issue was the keyboard.

8. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

I've had mine for a little over two weeks with no issues. I travel with it and use it daily.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

My old Mac is 10 years old and this is the last thing I’m concerned about. Was planning to get this air but I’m going to hold off for yet one more year.

10. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

It seems Gen 3 has made it more unlikely that your keys become stuck, but are now more prone to double entry or missed entry. All speculation of course, just going by comments and video's - rarely see difficult to click keys that I have seen on previous generations and it always seems to be about keys pressing twice or skipping.

11. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

If the keyboard has failed after two weeks it would suggest you've just got a faulty keyboard which could happen with any of their machines?

12. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

The issue has been so prevalent since 2016 that it is hard to say for sure if it is actually a manufacturing defect for the OP, or the known issues that can spontaneously occur due to the design defect.

13. worldvirus macrumors newbie

worldvirus

Unless you only use your mac in a sandstorm in the Sahara, I would suggest after 2 weeks, any problems in the keyboard are a manufacturing fault rather than a design flaw.

14. lambertjohn macrumors 6502a

My wife has a 2016 MBP and has had zero issues with the keyboard. As for me, I've had a 2018 Air for a few weeks now and have not experienced one single issue with the keyboard. And I don't expect to. I keep a $3 can of compressed air on my desk, and when I sit down to work every morning, I hit the keyboard with a blast of compressed air and get on with my day. Probably unnecessary, but good peace of mind. Just take care of your computer equipment and you'll be fine.

15. ascender macrumors 68020

ascender

The inherent design flaw seemed to be caused by dust ingress (although there was also mention of some batches of the metals for the switches not being up to scratch), but for the most part the problem seemed to develop over time as people exposed their machines to different environments and day to day debris. As opposed to the majority being faulty within a couple of weeks of use

16. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

The debris issue seems to be one thing - if you look at this fix:

it fix (using double sided tape) seems to indicate that there is more than one point of failure for the keyboards, not just an issue of dust getting caught.

To add to this theory, if it was merely dust related, Apple's fix described here https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT205662 would be recommended and applied to anyone with keyboard issues - there would be no top keyboard replacement necessary. However, we continually see people's keyboard being replaced and I doubt this is because some dust cannot be removed or that some dust has killed the whole mechanism.

17. MrAperture macrumors regular

MrAperture

Sheesh for such an expensive product you would think the keyboard would be the least of your worries. This is the only issue that's really stopping me from pulling the trigger on any of Apple's current laptops.

18. gertruded macrumors 6502

I was going to replace my aging Air, but the keyboard issues were not the only problem . The camera is now reported to be below expectations (face time is important to me), and the price is just way too high. YMMV, but for me no sale.

Four problems: keyboard, camera, screen, price. Just to many problems for a premium machine.

19. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

I've had mine for a couple weeks now at work. I haven't had an issue yet, and I use it all day every day.

Compared to the 2017 model I had before, this new Air is amazing. I love everything about it, including the keyboard, screen, and FaceTime camera. I wouldn't say the camera is any better than my old one, but I didn't really expect it to be despite the marketing claims — I also don't really care. ;)

20. Wags, Dec 11, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2018

Wags macrumors 65816

4 important ones.
    I noticed the camera as well at store. Very grainy or noisy. How can even claim hd quality.

21. Mainsail macrumors 65816

This makes me wonder if some of the issues have to do with people getting used to the new shallower keyboard travel. I am not a very good typist, so I make a lot of mistakes on the older traditional keyboard. Unless I was really paying attention, it might be hard for me to tell which errors were mechanical failures and which errors were my typing errors.

To be clear, there is no doubt in my mind that Apple has had major issues with their laptop keyboards of late. So, I am not questioning the sincerity of people's concerns or problems......just wondering if adapting to the new keyboard design and travel is contributing to the number of reported problems.

This is probably wishful thinking on my part because, eventually, I want to replace my 2014 MBA with a newer MBA.....so, I am kind of hoping the keyboard is fixed/improved.

22. DVD9 macrumors 6502a

Maybe Apple will start selling cans of compressed air in Space Gray?

23. Ma2k5 macrumors 68020

Ma2k5

Nope it’s definitely a defect of the keyboard - it’s something known as keyboard chatter and there are non-butterfly keyboards which suffer from it too due to bad design (eg Aero 15X).

This is why they replace the keyboard, they don’t tell you to get used to it - they will try fix it with compressed air perhaps but this defect isn’t always based on debris or dust - the mechanism itself is flawed and just dies and required a replacement.

Could be that heat destroys it? Who knows. But it isn’t the first keyboard to have this issue and it’s a shame Apple sells these at a premium.

24. Mainsail macrumors 65816

I suspect you are right. It’s too bad that Apple has adopted this defective design.

25. Yvan256 macrumors 603

Yvan256

What we need is a third-party company that buys Apple laptops and re-packages them into a different bottom assembly with reliable keyboards. Maybe even with built-in SD card readers, USB3 ports, bigger battery, etc.