Has anyone had battery improvements since 8.1.1?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by XTheLancerX, Nov 18, 2014.

1. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I know these whole battery life threads are made way too often, but I'm just curious about other people's experience with this.

My iPhone 6 has had horrendous battery life for awhile, not sure if it has ben that way since I got it, or if it was 8.0.2 that started the whole problem.

Anyway, getting to 5 and a half hours of usage before the battery dying was hard for me.

However, I've updated now and this is what I'm at.

View attachment 514685

Even though I am only at 90%, it is still an improvement over the usual percentage at this time. By this time, I am usually close to 50-60% with minimal usage like today.

Anyone else had improvement? I really will be disappointed if my battery life isn't any better after all, because this iPhone 6 has given me just abysmal usage times before I see the shutdown screen.

Attached Files:

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I'm pretty sure your signal strength is contributing to your problem. The weaker your signal strength is the more battery power your phone uses to try and maintain a connection to the tower.

At work I have a similiar signal strength and get pretty bad battery life while I'm here.

3. XTheLancerX thread starter macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

That very well could be the case, but I dont see why it would be as bad as it is. I range anywhere from 1-4 bars of LTE.

4. imagineadam macrumors 6502a

Noooo! My battery percentage meter STILL skips 60%!!!! I thought I read somewhere they fixed this. Guess not. Can someone else prove me wrong and take a screenshot showing 60% on any iOS device running ios8 and up?!?

5. dcpmark macrumors 6502a

I updated my RMini to 8.1.1, and so far my battery is actually much worse. Normally I end the day with 60% or so, and now I'm in the 30s. I had no complaints before, and still don't. As long as I can go one full day I'm happy. But I did notice that for me the battery time went way down with 8.1.1.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

It still skips it. Don't think it was ever really called out anywhere as being fixed. Minor glitch it seems that's present in iOS 8 so far.

----------

Give it a few days and charging cycles. Usually right after an upgrade isn't the best time to get a good idea of an average battery performance.

7. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Well, when I come to work I have 100% battery on my 6+ at 8am. By noon I'm already at 50% and I havent used my phone much.

At home around the same amount of time my phone is at 75% battery.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I always hate to say much about battery life within a week of updating, but I have to say I'm feeling very positive about 8.1.1

I'm on my second day of using it and both days have been noticeably better. Yesterday was the first time I've left work without thinking of charging. Today is the first time I've ever gone to lunch with 80% power.

Right now I'm at 80% and 2 hours usage with 5 hours standby. Mathematically that will work out to 10 hours usage with 25 hours standby. Time will tell if it's true, but I can tell you that I've NEVER gotten iPhone 6 life close to that in the past. If it even ends up just being somewhat close to that I'll say that 8.1.1 was a big improvement.

We'll see what happens.

9. Rhonindk, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2014

Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

It very likely is signal strength. I have two offices and have noticed that my battery is consumed quicker in one office vs. the other. This is true for both my Android and iPhone devices.

Side note: I have not noticed any differences for my 6+ and iMini2.
    Then again I haven't really scoped it out.

Update: I have noticed on my 6+, that battery drain while in speakerphone mode has decreased. This is just a tentative finding.

10. pazgb macrumors newbie

Not noticing to much difference between 8.1 and 8.1.1 on iPhone 6

I didn't use it much today but below I am happy with.

Also I seem to use less battery with paper app instead of Facebook app when not in use.

If you can get about 1 to 1.5 hours per 10% drop you are sitting in good shape.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416438799.505788.jpg

11. Purex macrumors member

12. Bahroo, Nov 19, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2014

Bahroo macrumors 68000

Have a 6 Plus, unplugged my phone at 1:30 today, been using all day (from 2-315 constant usage of the device with 2 bars of LTE browsing the web) and just using the phone all day basically and I am currently at 45% battery life. 6 Plus battery life is incredible(cant post battery usage stat though because my Plus crashed today and erased it)

13. XmeX macrumors regular

14. ParagJain macrumors 6502

Not sure if these are 8.1.1 or something but in India, these are the things that has helped me to arrest battery problems.

Turned off 4G LTE
    Turned off Notifications display on locked screen for most of the apps except messages and emails.
    The phone still makes sound and when unlocked gives me banner and badges, just not on the home screen.

And I'm seeing double the battery than before...measured over last entire week. I actually had another thread for 4G related problems I had faced.

15. E2EK1EL macrumors 6502

Where I live I have two LTE bands offer and they're the 1700/2100 and 2600 Mhz.

On the IP5s I used 1700/2100 band and my signal is super strong, batt life was amazing.

Now having the IP6, I do get the 1700/2100 band for a brief moment and it jumps to the 2600 band, unfortunately the penetration of that band isn't so great. The speeds are crazy though, pushing @ 144 Mbps.

I've briefly tested 8.1 and found it to drain my batt life by 20% more, assuming it's the NFC being activated. Went back to 8.0 in time before it was too late.

I will be keeping an eye on everyone stats. Purex's results are very good, that strong signal is helping a lot with the new 8.1.1 update.

16. iRoRo macrumors regular

iRoRo

IMHO I think it's too early to tell since the release of iOS 8.1.1 but, after a couple of recharge cycles we should get a better idea of battery life.

There are factors to consider, Usage? how new or old the battery is?
    What the signal strength is and how much does it change?
    Background apps, location services etc..

It does seem to have improved slightly on my 4S over the last 2 days though as I have changed nothing on my phone so, I'm happy with it.

<still has the minor 60% skip bug though>

17. Purex macrumors member

Here's an Update to my post

Usually i recharge much earlier but i was in the process of testing the battery in 8.1.1 and i also need to do a full discharge once a month to keep the values calibrated.

[​IMG]

18. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

That's too much a broad statement. The battery percentage indicator does not always reflect the physical battery's energy. Heck, a lot of the time merely by restarting my phone I get an additional 10% battery gain :p

19. revs macrumors regular

I have the same usage pattern and visit the same location and have the same signal.

8.1.1 is way better than previous versions in my iPhone 6. My phone battery is lasting notably longer.
    Let's hope the next iOS update doesn't ruin it!

20. Dreamer2go macrumors 6502a

I don't have a positive experience than you guys
    I have a strong feeling the new Whatsapp drained my battery a lot more....

This screen was captured minutes after I recharge my phone from 0% (trying to a battery calibration)

I did an OTA update...
    I reckon I may need to restore my iPhone from the actual iOS 8.1.1 .ipsw
    I heard it's better than OTA update. Is that true?

Attached Files:

21. Yun0 macrumors 65816

Yun0

improvement so far over 8.1 & even 8.1.1 beta 1 for sure

what i dont get is, why skype always has background activity, even when as always i have ALL apps disabled for background refresh, even setting skype to offline has no effect (yes "offline" not "invisible"),

Attached Files:

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

You have to sign out of Skype (and close the app potentially) for it to actually be closed since it can run in the background otherwise being a VoIP app (unrelated to background refresh or anything like that).

23. sbailey4, Nov 21, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2014

sbailey4 macrumors 68030

sbailey4

Well looks like so far on iP6 I have worse battery life than 8, 8.0.2, 8.1 beta or 8.1 release. Updated via iTunes originally. Then did a restore with backup via iTunes. Still no better. Not much different than my iPhone 4s was. Right now 1 day 6 hrs stdby,4 hr 7 min used and 12% remaining. That is no where near what it was prior to 8.1.1. Lost like 10% on standby last night between 1am and 8am. Weird most all reports are same or better but that is just not the case for me. Otherwise 8.1.1 is better for all other aspects except battery life for me. More stable. Faster. And few bugs gone. Wish battery was back though. Trying a reset all next to see if that helps but at this point I am doubtful.

[Update] Ok so the old tried and true "Reset all settings" and run battery down until cut off seems to have solved the issue. I am suspecting more the reset as the battery drain seem'ed to be on target. Drained down to 1% and used for a bit then cut off so I believe the calibration was fine. Either way after doing both battery seems to be back like it was. Note for folks not aware, this is typically the fix when you restore any backups rather than starting from new after a restore or update of iOS. A restore and start from new should have solved it too.

24. Nerdface Killah macrumors member

I'm actually having worse battery life than when on 8.1. My phone would last throughout the day into late evening with at least 20% left. Now it dies around 6PM if I don't put it onto a charger.