Has anyone had experience with eBay replacement SSDs for mid-2014 MBPs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FreakyT, Apr 9, 2015.

1. FreakyT macrumors newbie

I've got the mid-2014 128gb Macbook Pro and I've been examining ways to upgrade the storage. So far, I've just been waiting for those third-party OWC SSD upgrades, which are currently supposed to be available in "Q2 2015" though I believe they've been delayed multiple times before.

People on this forum have mentioned used SSDs on eBay before that come from "parted out" Macs. However, I recently noticed that there exist a number of sellers on eBay selling purportedly "new" SSDs. Here's an example, though there others like them. I messaged that seller asking for more details, and I got this:

So...they're ordering Mac Pro replacement parts directly from Samsung, I guess? Is that even a thing you can do? Anyway, so dropping $650 on a part that could break in 2 days without a warranty seems a bit sketch, so I'm wondering:

Has anyone else on here ordered something like this? Did it work well?

Thanks!

2. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

Interesting, this is a first time I see these. I always thought you can only get replacements from Apple or get used ones off eBay.

IMHO this looks sketchy - how do people get hands on these if you can't buy them normally? Just wondering, I might be wrong.

And as you've mentioned, what if things go wrong - warranty etc.