Has anyone had problems with 3rd party lightning cables?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iPhone7ate9, Sep 12, 2014.

1. iPhone7ate9 macrumors 6502a

I need a long cable for charging at night but don't want an expensive cable.

2. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

Pay the money and get a proper one from an Apple store. Dodgy ones off eBay will ruin the battery.

3. Deguello macrumors 6502

We have Amazon Basics lightning cables all over the house and cars and they work flawlessly.

4. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

Both yes and no. The Amazon Basics lightning cable is very good and cheaper than Apple's, plus it comes in black. I would recommend those as an alternative or even as the primary connector.

5. carrerascott macrumors regular

There are some Apple Authorized ones on Amazon that work fine. Check the reviews.

6. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Get one with MFi certified.
    Or get a cheap extension cable, Amazon or monoprice have some white USBA to USB A white extension cables that look very Apple like.

7. iPhone7ate9 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I wouldn't get an ebay knockoff, but something a 3rd party made at a reputable retailer.

----------

Would an extension cable hurt charging times?

8. leesweet macrumors demi-god

leesweet

Monoprice Lightning with standard USB extension cables work fine. I've got both. Note that the 'head' isn't exactly the Apple size so it won't work in say a Proclip mount (BTDT).

USB extensions cords are essentially four wires. No electronics. Not like the lightning part. So, no effect on 'the other end'.

9. phx macrumors member

%lightning extension cable, just get an normal outlet extension cable (you'll still get full power at the extension, and they are like $5).

10. eelw macrumors 6502a

eelw

I picked up a Griffin 3m Lightning cable from Target for $30. Amazing to have the cable freedom. But cable is thick after using the Apple Lightning cable for so long. But at least it's much more durable.

11. AllergyDoc macrumors 65816

AllergyDoc

12. mark34 macrumors 6502a

"el cheapos" don't work. Good third party ones do.

I guess that's obvious, but it is true.

13. rui no onna macrumors 601

rui no onna

These are what I have. They're MFi Certified and they work pretty great for me. I've got a whole bunch of the black 3 and 6 ft cables to go with my black Anker 40W chargers. That reminds me, need to get a short cable for my portable charger.