Has anyone had the back light on their screen go?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by -pete-, Sep 3, 2012.

1. -pete- macrumors member

I turned my iMac on last week to find one half of the display significantly darker than the rest of it, so much so that it has become near impossible to use for the design work that I bought the thing for.

I took it into my local Apple store on Sunday and they said that the only way they would be able it would be to replace the whole of the display and since I didn't have Apple Care and it was bought in May of last year they weren't going to be willing to pay for a replacement meaning I am going to be out of over £400!

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to the before? Considering how much I paid for the thing originally, that I haven't moved it or abused it in the year I had it, it really seems like it shouldn't be something that should go wrong :(

2. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Refer them to the sales of goods act. It will be fixed free of charge, if in doubt contact your local trading standards department.

*assumes it was bought from a UK retailer

3. -pete-, Sep 3, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2012

-pete- thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for info. It was bought from the online store, which I believe is based in Ireland?

EDIT: also if I already agreed to pay for it already can I just decline or reclaim it back later?

4. Kebabselector macrumors 68030

Kebabselector

Being in Ireland that might be an issue, though trading standards still might offer a solution. That said as you've paid then it might be too late. A nice worded email to Tim might do something.