Has anyone had the bottom case off of the new Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by teerexx52, Nov 7, 2009.

1. teerexx52 macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I have one of the new MacBook unibody machines. I have been trying to get the bottom panel off it (safely). After taking the 8 screws out it seems not to want to release along the left and right edges. I think it may snap in there but I am not sure and don't want to force it so waiting to hear if anyone on the forums has taken the back panel off.

I called the Apple store and they claim there are two clips one on either side that hold the cover on but they were no specific in how to get them to release. My wife and I both have tried this and the resistance is such that we are afraid we may bend the case or snap the clips. So has anyone done this yet successfully?

2. elmancho macrumors 6502

elmancho

I've opened mine, and the perfection and attention to detail inside is mind-blowing !!

3. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, but how did you get the sides loose?

4. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

Mine just came off very easy little Resistance at all

5. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Why didn't you ask them for specifics?

Since the macbook is touted as, "user upgradable" I would take it into the Apple store with all the screws out and just have them lift the back off for you.

6. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I did ask them but they wouldn't be specific about it. Trying to save a 2 hour ride to the Apple Store.

7. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Posted on Mac In Touch for those interested:

Now the 13" Late 2009 Macbook White... has three clips. One in the middle and one one each side. After removing the screws (in a specific order), you remove the bottom by lifting first from the back, and you'll feel the clip tension (center and sides) as you lift.
    Remember that there is a specific order to the screws and there are washers (on the inside of the bottom case). I like to think of the screw order as a Double X (one inside a larger one, starting with the smaller x, then the corners, the larger X). Fortunately, they are all the same size screws, unlike the later MacBook Pros...

8. Aadhil macrumors regular

This image might help:

[​IMG]

9. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Yes, you can see the three clips. Wonder if they are plastic, metal? Can they be snapped off? When I tried to do this there was a great deal of resistance to trying to get it off so I left it for now.

10. Aadhil macrumors regular

I don't own a macbook so I don't know. The first thing is to make sure all the screws are off. Then I guess just lift from the back till something gives. It shouldn't be very difficult or someone would have posted a caution about removing the back by now.

edit: If you're willing to wait, I should be getting a macbook next week and hopefully I can post a youtube video on removing the back cover.

11. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

I am in no hurry as this is a second machine to me. In fact it runs fine with 2gb ram. I just happen to have two 2gb modules from my previous 13" MBP so thought I'd stick them in. Looking forward to seeing your video. By the way the machine is sweet.

12. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

Come on guys, you just need to pull upwards a bit and it comes off...

13. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Not mine and pulling upward a lot

14. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

I just opened it to replace the RAM, I just lifted the right side a bit and it came off, it won't break as it's aluminum under the rubber coating and the clips are pretty loose.

15. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Are the clips and slots they go in to plastic or aluminum? Is there a clip in the middle of the bottom case as well. Thanks!!!

16. sinophilia macrumors regular

sinophilia

The slots are made of plastic but they seem very flexible, the "clips" are made of aluminum, and yes there is also one in the middle.

17. teerexx52 thread starter macrumors 68000

teerexx52

Thanks