Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RobVanDam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2003
If so, could you please list the circumstances.

I'm going off to college in a year and my christmas present this year is going to be a laptop to take to college. My dad is insanely paranoid about everything though and thinks someone will be able to steal it from my dorm room.

Is he actually right, or is he just being his same ol' paranoid self?

rainman::|:|

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2002
iowa
Macs tend to have a way to secure to things, a little slot or something, at least they used to. Of course a dorm room is less than ideal, but think of how many college students have laptops that don't get them stolen. Just be safe with it, don't leave it lying around, don't leave your room unlocked, beat the hell out of your roommate to keep him in line if you don't trust him. There are several kinds of software you can install that will detect a sudden change in enviroments and alert an outside source through the internet, i've heard they are somewhat successful. You get an email with all of the info you need to go to the cops and ISP... it's really a good precaution for any mobile user...

In short, tell him not to worry, you'll keep it safe. Getting a gun might not be a bad idea, see if you can get him to buy you one ;)

pnw

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
I'm entering my 3rd year of college. You should be fine. I know many people at school (including myself) who have laptops. I only know of one person who has had their computer stolen. He reported it stolen and his ip address was placed on a "stolen" list. As soon as someone plugged the laptop into the network, the college police where notified and the guy was caught. As long as you lock your laptop to you desk and lock your door when you are not in your room, you should be fine. Just be smart about it.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
I'd go for a Kensington lock, too. They are extremely strong and give you that added breath of relief. My college has been known to have thefts and I have two roommates who both tend to be careless about not locking the door when they leave, so any security measure you can reasonably take would be a good idea.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
I already own the kensignton lock and it seems pretty sturdy so long as you have something solid to attach it too. The iBook does have the same security slot as the powerbooks.

I'm looking into LapCOp 2 for when I goto college. I'll probably do a bit more research but them seem like a solid company and the software looks good. I'm not sure of their URL but MacBytes just had a link to them. Its only 25$ for that extra sense of security.

tangerinedream

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2003
Boston
get a lock, get 2, get duct tape, get a security system, backup backup get an alarm

I had a PowerBook 667 stolen this past January from the studio at school-
It was locked to my desk, locked inside a cupboard, and in a room that can be accessed by 100 students- all of whom I am friends with- 3 janitors, and 5 (now 4) sleepy security guards.

I know 18 people who have had laptops stolen at college. DO NOT PUT IT DOWN. Pretend you're in naples and everyone's a gypsy- you cannot let your guard down (am i clear and threatening?) get an ipod- a big fat 30g and keep everything backed up all the time. You're parents homeowner's insurance will cover theft, but with a 500 deductible, and the police won't care who took it... esp the campus police... Kensington won't care, tho Kryptonite might- they'll replace a bike if someone can get through one of their locks... I bought a cheap broken iBook and fixed it up to bring with me whereever, and I keep the stealth PB locked.

As for tracking the IP if someone takes it, and plugs in, it will leave a mark on the network, but chances are, they won't be able to pinpoint where exactly- they were able to tell me what building my PB was in the day it was stolen :( very very sad to know that someone on campus has your computer that you are paying for for the next 4 years...
so ya, keep it with you or keep it locked- if you take it out, someone knows you have an ill system, and might be watching... this is really morbid, i'm sorry, but you can't be too carefull...

and be ready for theft, if you have it backed up, and you have your receipts, and dad's got another $500 it won't hurt much more than some rough dental work

good luck at school
c

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002
lapcop 2 is a great way to add security. eveytime ive gotten onto another network i check my mail and it says everything about my laptop as well as where it is.

iJon

renman

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2003
WI
I thought about the same thing and I talked with campus security, actually. Apparently, at my university, there were 3 reported cases last year, 2 of which were professor's. It seems apparent, however, that this in an anomoly. Buy a lock, don't be stupid and the odds are on your side.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Re: get a lock, get 2, get duct tape, get a security system, backup backup get an ala

Originally posted by tangerinedream

As for tracking the IP if someone takes it, and plugs in, it will leave a mark on the network, but chances are, they won't be able to pinpoint where exactly- they were able to tell me what building my PB was in the day it was stolen :(
c

My school can track a computer to the port it is in. Very nice. You should see what you college can do. It can't hurt to know.

mnkeybsness

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2001
Moneyapolis, Minnesota
check out LapCop

this little behind-the-scenes app will notify dedicated servers when your laptop is stolen with very valuable information that will allow the police to get on track to finding your laptop.

i also second getting a security cable. sure, they can be snipped, but usually if a thief sees a cable holding the laptop down they won't waste their time because they'll want to just be in and out as fast as they can...oh yeah...and LOCK your dorm when you are not in the room. that one's real easy.

Powerbook G5

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
St Augustine, FL
What I did for added security is put the Apple skull and crossbones picture as my wallpaper and made it very clear to my roommates--touch my PowerBook and you will *wish* you were dead. :D Actually, I just told them it's my baby and if they value being able to use my Xbox, PS2, and Gamecube, they'd know not to mess with it. The true moral of the story, however, is at least get a Kensington lock and don't leave it lying around, because having a $2500+ piece of equipment lying around is like an open invitation to "Steal me".

scifi451

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
MN
Re: get a lock, get 2, get duct tape, get a security system, backup backup get an alarm

Originally posted by tangerinedream
You're parents homeowner's insurance will cover theft, but with a 500 deductible, and the police won't care who took it... esp the campus police... Kensington won't care, tho Kryptonite might- they'll replace a bike if someone can get through one of their locks... I bought a cheap broken iBook and fixed it up to bring with me whereever, and I keep the stealth PB locked.

Actually Kensington will care this comes from there site.
"MicroSaver Guaranteed Notebook Replacement is the strongest security cable from Kensington backed the industry's first replacement guarantee. Kensington will replace up to $1,500 per laptop and up to $10,000 per year per purchaser under its replacement guarantee program. " You can find it only for $39.95
Here is the link
http://www.kensington.com/html/2221.html

alia

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2003
Tampa, FL (Orlando, 2003 - 2023)
You should be okay as long as you lock it to your desk or something like that... I had a classmate who's laptop was stolen right out of his dorm room. It was only a week or two old at the time too.Very, very sad. He never recovered it.

Alia

cb911

macrumors 601
Mar 12, 2002
BrisVegas, Australia
you should be able to get additional insurance for a laptop from your homeownere insurance. that's what i had, and then it should be covered from damage as well.

and just make sure you back up you stuff regularly. i've never had my laptop stolen, but just thinking about it... if i didn't have backups of my work, i'd be more worried about that than the laptop.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Buy a lock, lock your dorm room, and better yet, keep it out of sight when not in use. Common sense should overcome the probability of theft, but since the 12" PB and iBooks are so small, thieves will obviously think they're easy to snatch up and conceal, so be careful if you're buying one of those. They're jailbait, much like the Olsen twins. :(

Daveman Deluxe

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Corvallis, Oregon
The single biggest thing you can do to prevent laptop theft is to make sure you DON'T advertise that you have a laptop. Don't buy a special case for it; instead, wrap it in a pillowcase and toss it into your book bag. This is serious business. If nobody knows you have a laptop, they're less inclined to try to steal it.

Keep your dorm room locked when nobody is in it. Carry your laptop around with you as little as possible, so it's locked in your room--much harder to get into than your backpack. Do like everybody else suggested and invest in a decent lock, preferably one with insurance, and secure it to some difficult-to-move-or-dismantle piece of furniture.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
Re: Has Anyone Had Their Laptop Stolen?

Originally posted by RobVanDam
If so, could you please list the circumstances.

I'm going off to college in a year and my christmas present this year is going to be a laptop to take to college. My dad is insanely paranoid about everything though and thinks someone will be able to steal it from my dorm room.

Is he actually right, or is he just being his same ol' paranoid self?

i do my college homework at borders bookstore, with my laptop

when i go to the bathroom, i unplug the machine and carry it with me to the bathroom...it may look weird, but i don't want $1600 dollars disappear in 20 seconds

when i go to get a cup of coffee or a soda at the cafe, i acutally take my machine with me under my arm...it is not worth the risk of losing your computer...and your work

RobVanDam

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 30, 2003
I doubt I'd leave it anywhere. I don't even like leaving my folders and such around in high school because odds are they won't be there, or they'll be spread out across who knows where when I get back. So I guess going to a high school full of *******s has actually taught me one thing.

Thank you for all the advice everyone, it has all been really helpful.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
i'm at uni, my iBook was stolen about 2 months ago - we were broken into. at night, when we were all fast asleep!

Just make sure you're well insured and back stuff up regularly.

ALWAYS lock your doors/windows as insurance companies don't cough up when you're the one at fault.

Make sure you make a note of your serial number.

If the worst happens and it does get stolen, the chances are that the theif was a kid who wanted the money for drugs/drink/cigarrettes, and they're probably not too clue'd up on computers, so they just stole it to sell it on. Keep an eye out in local free-ads and second hand shops/pawn shops for it, if you find it then call the cops and you will get it back if you can prove its yours.

mrjamin

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2003
Strongbadia
oh yeah, don't carry it round in a bag that has Laptop plastered all over it - you will get mugged. My advice (i've said this before) stick it in a jiffy bag - they're cheap and there's one that fits the iBook/12" and the 15" perfectly! They do a great job at protecting them when they're in a regular rucksack with a bunch of other crap.

rhpenguin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2003
London, Ontario
Well, what I do with my iBook is take the thing everywhere I go. I go to school, its with me. When im at home its right there too. And I also take it to work with me.

Sometimes its not very convenient, but i live in a ghetto neighbourhood and dont trust anyone that lives in it. Its bad enough i have four deadbolts on my door.

but for those occasions where you just cant take it with you, take advantage of that little hole that lets u stick a lock in it.

Ok, got to go now...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.