Has Anyone Had Their Logic Board Repaired verses Getting a New One?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Graceful585, Jun 2, 2009.

1. Graceful585 macrumors member

I've been reading that it's cheaper to have a logic board repaired than replaced. Is this really possible? How good will it be if it's repaired verses getting a refurbished/new one? As you all know I'm researching soloutions for my MBP 17" as the Apple Genius told me I needed a new logic board last week and I have warranty on it through Fry's Electronics but I also dropped it on the tile several months ago and there's a big dent on the corner of it...so that makes the warranty void according to what I've read...anywhoo...if a company says it can repair the logic board for less than...how good can it be????

2. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Hmm, depends on the type of damage, ease of repair and skill of the person repairing it.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Modern logic boards have multiple layers of metal interconnect and devices attached with methods not possible with equipment like soldering guns. It's virtually impossible to repair this type of equipment. I wouldn't believe anyone telling me they can repair a logic board.

4. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

I got mine replaced last week, Apple found problems with my video cards so they replaced my logic board.

5. Graceful585 thread starter macrumors member

Good to know...I've seen a post on here about a guy and his brother who fixes logic boards????