Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
My wife dropped her iphone 3g and the screen cracked.I just want to know what to expect when we go in tommorow.Is it even worth paying alot of money to replace it.I think she should sell it and get a the bold with insurance on it.I have heard $250 which is insane if you ask me.Has anyone had there screen replaced yet??

iGuardian

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2008
I'd like to know also, I'd like if Apple would replace it... but it seems unlikely...

taibant

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
if i remember correctly one of the new design features with the 3g is that the glass is no longer part of the lcd and digitizer assembly, so it should be a fairly cheap fix as long as the LCD and touch response still work

shady825

macrumors 68000
Oct 8, 2008
Area 51
if i remember correctly one of the new design features with the 3g is that the glass is no longer part of the lcd and digitizer assembly, so it should be a fairly cheap fix as long as the LCD and touch response still work

I have a friend who cracked his and the touch screen still worked. He's still using it actually.

carson44

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2008
apple will replace the screen, but i believe its $200 -$250

Apple will just give u a refurb, i replaced mine myself it was really hard tho. bought the glass off ebay for $30. it still worked fine when it was cracked

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008

Yeah,The phone is still working fine.It just looks bad.I just hope apple don't try to charge that $250.It's holidays and money is tight.This whole no insurance thing is starting to be a pain in my ***.

AustinSTI

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Yeah,The phone is still working fine.It just looks bad.I just hope apple don't try to charge that $250.It's holidays and money is tight.This whole no insurance thing is starting to be a pain in my ***.

Its the original cost of the subsidized phone to get it replaced. When we got my wife's swapped the guy told us it'd be cheaper to send it off and have it fixed. Fortunately since we used my AMEX gold card and it was less than 90 days AMEX picked up the tab on the replacement....otherwise her 16GB replacement would have been another $299 + tax.

I haven't heard of any exceptions to the rule...

jason72780

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
If she does get it replaced I suggest getting insurance on it. I have it through state farm. $30 a year covers accidental damage, loss, and theft and there's no deductible. I'm not sure if you need another policy through them though. I use them for my auto and renters insurance.

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
Apple will just give u a refurb, i replaced mine myself it was really hard tho. bought the glass off ebay for $30. it still worked fine when it was cracked

Was your iPhone the 1st gen or the 3G? They say it's much easier to replace the glass on the 3G.

KristenHumphrey

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2008
Screen Replacement

i got my cracked screen replaced at a repair center. the name was Dr. Cell Phone. i mailed it in to them and i got it back the very next day overnight. it cost $99. i was surprised how much cheaper they were than apple. here's their website just in case you guys need help: http://www.drcellphone.com

moderators if this is considered spam, feel free to delete the link, just giving my advice! good luck! :cool:

loskickking23

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 13, 2008
i got my cracked screen replaced at a repair center. the name was Dr. Cell Phone. i mailed it in to them and i got it back the very next day overnight. it cost $99. i was surprised how much cheaper they were than apple. here's their website just in case you guys need help: http://www.drcellphone.com

moderators if this is considered spam, feel free to delete the link, just giving my advice! good luck! :cool:

Thanks for the linc.........She has an appointment with apple today at 7:30pm.If they tell us something outrageous I will be trying something like dr cellphone.Its a shame someone thats not even apple charges you less.I will let you guys know what happens later on tonight.Im hoping they say the hell with it and just swap it out since the holiday.I also took my iphone back 4 or 5 times for light leaks,vibrate not working,(white 3g)cracked houseing and never bi****ed.I will be sure to let them know that too.Thanks

jason72780

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Orange County, CA
It's like that for a lot of things. If somethings wrong with my truck I can take it to chevy and get charged more to fix it than my neighborhood mechanic shop would. Of course for this example to work chevy would be giving me a whole other truck while the mechanic would just fix what's wrong.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.