Has anyone had this happen from the Genius Bar?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jay5ive, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Jay5ive macrumors newbie

I'll try to make this as short as possible. I had a 6S plus that I purchased last year thru the apple upgrade program, I love the IPhone 7 so I'm planning to upgrade to that in a week. Problem is my 6S plus sustained two cracks in the screen since I've owned it. These obviously need to be fixed prior to trading the phone in so I made my genius bar appointment yesterday and brought my phone in. The Apple employee looked my phone over and did in fact agree that it needed to have the screen repaired in order for me to trade it in next week. So I went ahead and signed for the repair and left the store for a couple hours.

Upon my return an Apple employee brought two phones over to the table and stated that my 6S plus had failed calibration. I have no clue what calibration is and was surprised to hear that. He then immediately said that he would be giving a replacement phone at no cost. The process was as very quick and I as I was out of the store within 5 minutes after returning, new phone in hand.

Can anyone shed light as to how common failing calibration is during a repair? I asked the rep and he didn't seem to have an answer. Could the failure have been due to something on my end when the phone sustained those cracks? Anyone else have similar experiences? I'm not complaining but I think its really odd I was charged nothing.

PS: Also as a side note I was under the impression as I walked into my appointment that I would have to pay the $99 dollar fee for the repair thru my Apple Care plus coverage. I ended up paying nothing, however that wasn't suppose to be the case. I was told prior to signing for the repair that the repair cost with Apple Care plus had gone down to $29 instead of $99 and the change occurred just yesterday. Not sure if that price change has been talked about a lot but its a very big change for people in similar situations to mine.

2. Knockoutjosie macrumors 6502a

Knockoutjosie

Lucky you. My screen was cracked and my mute/ unmute button was broken. I had to pay 139 to get the screen fix and they ending giving me a new iPhone

3. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

they probably botched the repair and at that point it was more deficient to just replace the phone. congrats.

4. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502a

RootBeerMan

Never look a gift horse in the mouth, compadre. That was a stroke of luck.