Has anyone had this problem?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Cipher002, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Cipher002 macrumors newbie

Hey there.

I have an early 2008 model MBP (the one previous to the unibody) and I have noticed the battery toolbar doing something weird the last couple days. While it is charging, the percentage goes up like normal, but the timer also goes up instead of counting down like a normal timer. What's wrong???

I tried to calibrate last night and noticed a dip in capacity from about 80-something% last week, down to 67% today. What's going on here??

As I write this I'm charging the battery.

Coconut battery shows:
    Current Battery Charge: 3490 mAh
    Max Battery Charge: 3612 mAh
    Charge Percent: 96%
    Current Battery Capacity: 3612 mAh
    Original Battery Capacity: 5600 mAh
    Battery Loadcycles: 70
    Age of Mac: 18 Months

Thanks in advance for any tips/advice.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Probably a faulty battery. If it is still under warranty bring it to an Apple Store and they should replace it. If not you can get a new one on eBay for $50 to $70.

3. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I don't know about the new built in batteries, but all of the previous ones were only covered for 12 months, even with AppleCare.

That's pretty much the deal with rechargable batteries. You're only guarenteed a year, and after that you might get 30 minutes of use, or it could go 4 years and you can still get an hour out of it.

From Apple, " Each time you complete a charge cycle, it diminishes battery capacity slightly, but you can put notebook, iPod, and iPhone batteries through many charge cycles before they will only hold 80% of original battery capacity. As with other rechargeable batteries, you may eventually need to replace your battery."

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=224315, some people are at 70% after 249 cycles, and some are 75% after 150, it goes all over the place.

I am not positive of this at all, but I believe these batteries should last around 200 cycles on the low end and 300 cycles on the high end if treated properly. Although, you'll never get that information out of Apple or Sony (who makes most of the batteries they use). So it's only an estimated guess, really.

Apple charges $129 for their new batteries and you only get a 90 day warranty on them. Ones from eBay most likely have no warranty, and ones from a place like http://fastmac.com cost around $100, have a year warranty, and potentially have a better capacity than Apple's.