Has anyone had to ship their Imac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Skibum232, Jun 15, 2011.

1. Skibum232 macrumors newbie

We moved from DC back to CO recently and still have some remaining items at our old house, essentially waiting for the house to sell.

In the meantime we found a short term renter so made the call to put stuff in a POD type situation but have decided that we don't really want to put our TV and my larger Imac in there. I boxed the Imac before we moved out but what are my options for getting those two things back here?

We've had a neighbor caretaking the place and he said its no problem to ship them but I don't know really what the cost is.

Anyone have any experience in this? I ran the math on doing the Uhaul rental/flights/etc. and the storage container was cheaper significantly.

Thanks for any help!

2. mstrze, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

mstrze macrumors 68000

What will be the difference between putting the box in a POD or shipping it via a carrier?

If you are worried about handling and such, I can argue that there will be many more opportunities for damage from a shipper going from van to truck to plane to conveyor belt to truck to van to...etc.

Your box in the POD will not be touched and basically stay where you put it.

What is your worry? The POD gets placed on the back of a truck and transported. It's not just rolled down the street topsy-turvy.

Save your money (which would probably be a couple hundred dollar for the weight of those two items) and just put them on the POD.

3. ault45 macrumors member

I agree, make sure they are secure in the POD and go with it. I ship alot of Imacs and it isnt as cheap as it once was.

4. Skibum232 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm worried about the time, the quote they gave us from VA to CO was over a month, so my concern was the heat and transportation of it.

If the POD is safe and secure I'm okay waiting, its just where it is going to be or end up.

5. mstrze, Jun 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2011

mstrze macrumors 68000

It's electronic, it's designed to get hot...heck, I doubt that inside the POD it will get anywhere near to the normal operating temperature of the internals when the computer is plugged in and running.

As long as it's securely packaged, it will be fine.

I'm not sure I understand that phrase? "its just where it is going to be or end up"??? Are you worried about the POD not getting delivered? Or delivered upside down?

6. Skibum232 thread starter macrumors newbie

I did some research and they take them to secure, but sometimes outside storage areas on its trip from VA to DC and they can sit until getting routed on a truck that way. One persons experience was it took a bin two months to get to them and everything inside was frozen(shirts in a hanger box were like plywood, TV had frost on it). Its probably just exaggerating but still concerned me.

7. josh1231 macrumors regular

I have shipped many Imac's that I have sold, and it's really not a big deal. If you have the original box that came with it, wrap it in there put the label on the box and buy the insurance. I only paid $26 with insurance for UPS ground and that was from Kansas to Arizona (I do have a corporate account so that might be a little cheaper).

Just make sure to fill out the declared value section so in case it gets broken you're covered.

Overall it's pretty easy to do.