Has anyone here actually needed to use their iPhone applecare? Is it worth it?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zedsdead185, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

I put my deposit down for the Orange iphone launch on tuesday. Usually I always buy the applecare for my apple products, but am not sure if its worth it for an iphone. My reasoning being that you an get a multitude of problems that can happen to a computer, but i can't think of anywhere near as many for the iPhone. Plus, i never usually see any problems posted on here unless someone has dropped it, submerged it in water or jailbroken it.
    Also, £59 is quite a lot considering its only another year on top.

Anyone here got applecare with theres? And have you ever needed it? Have you ever wished you bought applecare for it if you haven't? and lastly, is it worth it?

2. Nickday89 macrumors regular

I had it for my 1st Gen iPhone, but I'm waiting until July to get it on my 3GS. I don't think it's really worth it until after your warranty is up

3. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Once your warranty is up it is too late to get applecare... If you use Amex, they double the MFG warranty for up to 1 year (at least my business card does) so there is no point for me to buy applecare. YMMV.

4. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Six times.

First time was a loose part inside.
    Second time you could turn silent off (if the switch is on) by pressing down on the upper left corner of the screen, then back on by releasing (causing a vibrate).
    Third time was the iPhone stuck at a white screen.
    Fourth time was a loose part
    Fifth time was the same as the second time.
    Sixth time officially was cracks but it really was the iPhone restarting pretty often.

5. bmstrong macrumors 6502

I didn't even know there is Applecare for the iPhone...

6. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Let's see...I went through 5 2Gs and 3 3Gs, all software related. when your phone is running a pretty much full blown OS on it, it can have many of the same problems that a computer does. But really, it's your choice, and I'm pretty sure the 59 Pounds is going to feel pretty cheap when you have to exchange your phone a week after the warranty runs out.

7. astarling06 macrumors regular

astarling06

I bought it for my 3G

I recommend buying AppleCare. So far I've used it twice. The first time was little bubble appeared on the right side of the screen. They replaced the screen to fix that issue. Then a couple of weeks after that, my GPS would not lock on my location. The Apple genius and I walked around the block several times and it still wouldn't lock in so they replaced the phone. I just went over the one year mark with the iPhone and I expect there will be more problems but at least I'll be covered. I wish I had bought it on my iMac I bought last May because earlier this week the hard drive took a dump and it cost me $150 to replace that I wouldn't have had to pay had I bought Applecare.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I'm on my 4th iPhone. I wouldn't dream of not having Applecare.

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

not sure if they have a such a thing there

but i got a squartrade warranty for mine

Covers drops and spills and breakage.

10. lollicup macrumors regular

13 months after owning my iphone I realize that my battery life completely sucks now ( won't last more than a few hours)

with the cost of the phone being so high I would highly recommend getting at least an extra year of warranty on the phone

Right now I'm waiting to either upgrade to the 3gs ( in december) or if I hear any rumors wait for the next iphone ( in jun/july)

11. Zedsdead185 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, maybe there are more problems than i thought.

Thats a good point about battery life that never occured to me before. I decided to see how much it was in uk to get the battery replaced by apple and its about £60 altogether. And applecare is £59. So even if i don't get a problem, at least near the end of it i can always request a new battery and even make a £1 saving :D. That is assuming of course that my battery will be worse by then.

12. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

I have Applecare on the MBA, but not the iPhone. Original warranty expires Jan 8, 2010. I have a couple notifications set up about a week ahead of time, just in case.

13. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would get AppleCare now if:

- You think you might keep your iPhone for more than a year
    - You're the forgetful type and would forget to get AppleCare as your iPhone reaches the one year mark and goes out of the original warranty.

OR

- You're nowhere near an Apple Store in case you need warranty service, and would have to deal with Apple tech support by phone.

14. greygray macrumors 68000

greygray

I bought Applecare but never got to use it at all.

15. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

what is wrong with you people, I have had an iphone from day one with no problems,, I am on my second one which is a 3gs and you people say u have returned it 6 times, what the hell are your doing to your phone.

16. Cortezbanks macrumors 6502

i had to return my original iphone 2 times and the second time was out of warranty. One of my friends had his home button get stuck pressed in about a week or 2 after his 1 year warranty expired and he didnt have applecare and had to get a new phone instead of apple replacing it. i would recommend it

17. Coraline macrumors member

Some people aren't as lucky. Be happy.

18. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

heres what I suggest
    you have 1 year in which to purchase apple care
    if, in a year, a new iPhone comes out and you decide to upgrade, then dont get apple care as you wont have that phone anymore. If, in a year, you dont upgrade, then get the apple care. You want to be able to swap your phone out if anything happens.

also, just saying, jailbreaking cannot cause any problems that cant be fixed with a simple software restore. Unlocking is a different story. But if you get the itch to jailbreak, you can (generally) do so without fear, so long as you read everything the dev team has to say about devices and software. Dont try to jailbreak it if your phone/software isnt supported by the latest version of pwnagetool

19. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

Apple Care is really cheap on eBay. I got Apple Care for my macbook for $100 on ebay and I figured at that price I might as well get it.