Has anyone here actually replaced the back casing on their 3g?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wackymacky, Mar 9, 2010.

1. wackymacky macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Has anyone here actually replaced the back casing on their 3g?

I've been very abusive to my phone and it has about three sizable cracks.

they are in the usual places and given it was one of the first batch of white 3G's I would have had a try at getting replacement but it's out of warranty.

I've looked at a couple of on-line guides to do the repair, and it seems like you need to do a complete tear-down of the phone to get the back casing off. Given the phone works completely O.K I'm reluctant to break it.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Not getting a new one this summer then?

I'd suggest putting a BSE or InvisibleShield on the back. I'm not sure if it'll prevent further cracking but it'll definitely hold it together.

3. wackymacky thread starter macrumors 68000

wackymacky

Well, yes, I probably will get a new on this summer, and I'm tempted to hold off trying to fix the 3G until then, in case it goes horribly wrong.

It's not that I am technophobic in attempting to pull the thing apart,, it's just the connectors look very small and fragile, so I don't want to have my first attempt at iPhone repair on a phone that is otherwise working O.K

If every one would tell me that it’s a synch to do I’d go ahead now.

4. chargit macrumors 6502a

chargit

I have done many back replacements. if you dont know what you are doing you are in for a long day and will most likely mess it up. take it to a local repair shop. but it will cost you because there is a ton of labor involved! and yes you do have to completely take apart then entire phone. everything mounts to the back of the iphone.

5. gigapocket1 macrumors 6502a

well... i wouldnt do it... I upgraded to the 3gs and purchased a red backing for my iphone 3g... It was out of warrenty, screen was cracked, fully functional. So i attempted it.. And lets just say, its still sitting over their in the corner..
    I put it all together, but i couldnt get the home button to work, and the silent switch broke off, and it wouldnt charge anymore soooo... lol

I recommend that you dont do it.. its easy but its not easy at the same time.. If you do this for a living then yeah, i would recommend it.. but if this is something you do every now and then, then no..

search craiglist.. Those advertisements of people replacing screens also in their description talks about changing the iphone case.. Thats what i would do if i was u..

6. kAoTiX macrumors 6502

kAoTiX

I do iPhone repairs and we can get hard cases for the rear of the iPhone. They are plastic, have the Apple logo on and the normal text you usually find on the bottom section. They do add a bit to the thickness of the phone but to freshen it up and make it look newer it's probably your safest bet other than replacing the rear case.

What you'll find with replacing the case yourself is that you have to take literally everything out of the iPhone. This includes the mainboard. Should you damage the mainboard you will kill the phone. It's honestly not worth the risk just to replace the case.

As other have suggested, if you can find a local repair shop get them to do it. They will (should) know what they're doing and should offer some kind of guarantee that they wont damage your phone.