Has anyone here been scammed on eBay selling an iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nnacrumors, Aug 16, 2014.

1. nnacrumors macrumors 6502

Has anyone here been scammed on eBay selling an iPhone?

If so, how did it happen / could be avoided?

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It can happen and there's no way to avoid it 100%

Personally I've successfully ebayed all 6 of my iPhones. Best you can do is take all steps to fall under paypal seller protection and hope for the best.

3. pooleman Suspended

pooleman

I've been scammed before. Buyer files a claim but eBay sided with me. I followed the terms to the letter and made sure I described everything in the listing.

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

There's tons of threads with people having a real hard time selling on eBay.
    Myself too. Way too many scammers will try to get you.
    Search for eBay here.

5. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

6. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I had one. I don't ship international and this guy asked me if I did and I said no. So he goes and buys the phone anyways. Then I get a fake PayPal email saying that my money is "on hold" until the phone is shipped and tracking info input into the system. So I didn't ship and told the guy off since my sell page clearly said in big bold letters "NO INTERNATIONAL SHIPPING." Filed a complaint with eBay and won.

7. juanrp macrumors 6502a

juanrp

eBay, it's a sketchy place. I don't personally use it for anything, but my father has before and I think one person stole his info and bought tickets to Spain. (They never even made it on the plane though, they were caught red handed at the airport)

I think that phones are probably the highest market from people to get scammed. I would never buy a phone from ebay.

(Anyone remember the guy that paid a load of money for an xbox one and got a picture of it instead of the actual thing?)

:cool:

8. jesusplay macrumors 6502a

I've used ebay close to a decade and have had no problems.

I only sell to united states and paypal

9. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

I've had one problem with a scammer the first time I attempted to sell a phone on eBay and I never bothered going through them again. Thankfully it worked out in me that time.

10. 617aircav Suspended

Not scammed but buyer wanted to return blacklisted ATT iphone 5 because it didnt work in canada. Ebay sided with me. I have sold over a hundred phones on ebay and have been fine. Make sure you restrict buyers only allowing those with the highest ebay standing to bid.

11. CEmajr macrumors 601

I've sold several hundred iPhones on eBay over the past 5 years.

Restrict buyers to the United States, block those without paypal, and those with more than 3 unpaid item disputes in the past 12 months and that should weed out most of the potential problem buyers.

Also make sure to ship your phone with insurance and signature confirmation. I've had a few attempted scams and won every single one of them.

12. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

I have sold every IPhone after my upgrade on eBay and have never been scammed. I put in the ad that they were my personal phones that they are in excellent condition with the exception of this or that with close-up pictures and have never had anyone try to scam me. In addition I live in The US and only sell to purchasers in the US. I do not sell as an auction, but ask a firm price as buy it now with the condition of instant pay. I ask more than they are selling for and always sell the phone within the first day or so. I've never had a problem.

13. iphonehype macrumors 6502

Sold a laptop, shipped via UPS it was brand new. Customer opened a dispute stating it was used and damaged. They sent the item back however the box was smaller and they where dummy iPhones in the box weighing it down.

Took pictures told PayPal who said the seller is right and I made this all. Up

Laptop was fruadtly stolen and that's the end of my eBay business

Never do it I wouldn't ever again

14. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Over 700 eBay transactions and not been scammed yet. Not saying people have not tried but with care and following all the rules you are safe.

15. SMIDG3T, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2014

SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

It can't be avoided but what you can do is enable Buyer Restrictions.

Here's what Buyer Restrictions can do for you, it restricts eBuyer's that...

• Don't have a PayPal account
    • Have unpaid items recorded on their account
    • Have a primary delivery address in countries you don’t post to
    • Have breached eBay policies
    • Have a Feedback score lower than the number you specify

So, if you enable all of the above, the chances of getting scammed is lowered and will probably mean that if your item sells, you'll get the money!

16. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

Like friend is doing: put passcode on iPhone when buyer asks for it, automatically you win because he wouldn't ask if he really didn't got iPhone ;)

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This only applies to buyers who bid on more than 1 of the same item. Doesn't really help with non-paying bidders as I've gotten a couple with feedbacks higher than 5, although re-listing the item is better than actually getting scammed.