Has anyone here downgraded from iPhone 3G to the original iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Mar 19, 2009.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I'm thinking about going back to my first generation iPhone. Has anyone else done this? I have a few questions...

1. Will it start my contract all over again?
    2. Will it screw up my eligibility to get the next generation iPhone?

The fact is... I still like the original design of the first generation iPhone. The metal is so solid and I love how the back doesn't get sticky or greasy and feels smooth in my hand. It's also easier to type on for some reason. The silent switch is all one piece (no chance of it breaking off). The metal looks better and I won't have to constantly wipe off the back of it.

The deal is... I'm pretty OCD... most of you have probably figured that out by now. I'm getting a little tired of constantly losing the battle of keeping my hands perfectly clean to not smudge the back of my 3G and wiping it off all the time. Even though I can't see the smudges, I can feel the slime from my hands (due to condensation and oils).

3G isn't *that* fast for me. EDGE is pretty good for the majority of things I do on the iPhone (MacRumors and chatting on AIM).

MMS Isn't important to me and neither is tethering or A2DP.

I think the only thing I'll miss is the true GPS (but, I haven't used that for months now because I usually know where I'm going).

What do you guys think? Any reason I *shouldn't* downgrade to the first generation iPhone?

Edit: I forgot to mention... my 3G is 16GB and the first gen is only 4GB, but I have a 120GB iPod that I can use for music, but it's not as elegant as the iPhone.

2. weeman macrumors 6502

As long as you have the hardware and do not buy it from ATT or apple it will not start your contract over again...if you plug 1st gen iPhone into itunes and activate it through there then it WILL start your contract over again so dont do that.

What you want to do is give ATT a call and have them put the IMEI number of your 1st gen iPhone into your account so when you remove your sim card from your 3g phone and put it into the 1st gen phone, it will activate automatically and will not start a new 2 year cycle...also while you are on the phone with them, make sure they remove the 3g data plan and put the 2g plan on and you should be set to roll!

I actually prefer the look of the 1st gen over the 3g and the 1st gen is built like a tank...I have dropped it numerous times and it still looks and functions like brand new so no complaints...only thing I wish for is the gps...

3. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Sounds good... so since my 2-year contract won't restart, I'll still be eligible for an upgrade then?

4. Ekelon macrumors newbie

Yea, everything should be normal...

I wasn't aware you could downgrade plans too, but that's pretty cool!

5. weeman macrumors 6502

Yeah...your 2 year contract only starts over if you get a new phone from att at a discounted price...so as long as you dont activate your phone through itunes (even though it is yours, it will activate it as a new phone if plugged into itunes) then you should be set!

Just give ATT a call and have the IMEI number for the 1st gen iPhone set to your account and change the data plan and your upgrade date will remain the same

Good luck!

6. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Okay, so last night I called AT&T. I gave them the IMEI number for my original iPhone and when I was done, I put the SIM card in my original iPhone (which didn't automatically activate like I assumed). So I plugged the iPhone into iTunes and had to go through the activation process. I just checked online and my end of contract date is still the same, so it must've worked.

Anyways... I'm quite happy with the 2G iPhone. It's not a bad phone. It's pretty much the same as the 3G with a better case and feel.

7. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I went to the 3G from the first generation iPhone for two reasons: ringer volume and call volume. Both were too soft, even at their loudest settings, on the first generation phone. I kept missing calls and struggling to hear when there was any distracting noise. I had my first generation phone replaced once for the too-soft ringer. The second was better, but not great.

The 3G has taken care of both, and regardless of the case, I wouldn't go back to those two functional problems.

I would not have switched for GPS or 3G, but they are nice to have.

YMMV

8. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Fair enough, but I poked holes in the speaker grill to get louder ringer volume... it's it's fine.

9. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I would call to confirm this. The online date isn't always reliable.

10. verks macrumors member

verks

Give it a couple days. I made a switch and it took over 24 hours to show up online.

11. iFerd macrumors 6502a

I read about that and probably would have done it too if the call volume had been satisfactory. (I am not hearing impaired in any way.) I am really (honestly) not trying to talk anyone into switching from or to the 3G. Just letting readers know that there are advantages to the 3G that may be important in deciding which way to go.

12. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Makes sense, but in my situation... I use bluetooth to make and receive calls. I have a bluetooth stereo in my car and I can turn it up as loud as I want and I have a bluetooth headset that I also use when I'm not in my car... so audio is not an issue for me, but for people who actually put their phone up to their ear... I can see how that may make you switch to a 3G.

13. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

So, I started missing my iPhone 3G... 16GB was nice so that I didn't have to carry another iPod around with me. Now I want my 3G activated again, so I just got off the phone with AT&T and apparently they can't change my IMEI number more than twice. So they had to put in a case claim for the technical people to look at and they're going to call me back. It was so easy to downgrade that I thought upgrading again would be just as easy... guess I was wrong. I should have never downgraded in the first place.

14. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Holy crap man.

I like you and all, but I don't know if we "board regulars" need to hear about every last detail of your day to day errands.

15. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

Haha. Sorry... it just went with this topic. I didn't realize that it was harder to upgrade than I thought. Now I have to wait a few days while they sort it all out. I was under the impression that I could just switch my plan to the 3G data plan and be on my way... guess not.

PS: Hey, at least I didn't start a new thread ;)

16. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

haha, ya it's all good - I was just being snarky.

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I kinda figured that. We've always been cool.

EDIT: Shortly after posting this... they called me back and fixed it. Now I'm rockin' the 3G again. Woohoo! Oh... fingerprints... oh well. I'm glad to be back. I missed it.