Has anyone here reserved an iPhone like this?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AndrewR23, Nov 1, 2013.

1. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

First, the reserve thread is extremely long and after looking at several pages, there was really no answer.

As you all know, the gold iPhone is extremely hard to get. I'm trying to buy another one out of contract (full retail price) for my mom. She is however due for an upgrade, but does not want to use it.

I remember reading this on here...but can't find it now. Basically, to reserve the phone, you have to use the upgrade. So if we use the upgrade, reserve the phone and get to the Apple store, can we tell them to cancel that transaction, get the upgrade back, and then sell it to us full price? Its for Verizon, and even reserving the phone a note pops up saying "to keep your current data plan, please visit an Apple retail store and purchase full price."

Thanks guys.

edit-Applecare senior advisor said it should work but is completely up to the store. I mean if we reserve the phone using the upgrade, it sets the phone to the side. So basically if we never pick it up, it goes back on the retail shelf correct? So by cancelling the upgrade and buying full retail, I really don't see any problem with it.

2. Bowsa2511 macrumors regular

I thought it charges your card though

3. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

I can't see why this wouldn't work. They might tell you that they have to activate the phone before you can leave with it (ie: they may not be able to cancel and sell it full price)

Another option would be to add a new line and pay the early termination fee if the total cost isn't more than the Un-subsidized phone.

----------

They would reverse the charge, in theory.

4. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

It does, thus cancelling everything at the apple store will refund the card immed, then hopefully i can rebuy at full price. No im not adding any lines or paying ETF, I just want the full retail price of the phone.

5. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

What I meant was, in the event that they won't let you do what you want, you could add a new line, buy the gold phone on that line and then cancel the line.

If the subsidized price + ETF <= full retail, then it might make sense for you to do this.

6. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

Your only required to pay the ETF after 14 days I think. I would be canceling after ten minutes

7. BeeGood macrumors 65816

BeeGood

The 14 days is only applicable if you are returning the phone. You are keeping it. Your plan relies on Apple's willingness/ability to sell you the phone at full retail after originally purchasing it on contract.

Maybe they will, but if not, using a new line means you can keep the phone and your moms upgrade after canceling the new line.

It's your call obviously, but IMO it's worth looking into how much terminating a new line would cost.

8. AndrewR23 thread starter macrumors 68040

True, I will.

Is there anybody though that has done the rservation process by upgrading, cancelling upgrade then buying it full price?

9. pat.micunnis macrumors regular

YMMV -- it's up to the store manager. It seems more and more managers are NOT willing to let people do this; depending on where you live - you have to go in the morning and stand in line for a ticket. YES - it's ridick that 6 weeks post-launch, you still have to do this!

I'm still trying to exchange the color of my "device only" GOLD for a SILVER (sadly). Silver 32GB is hard to find.

10. sillywabbit macrumors 6502a

I have read if you tried to do what you mentioned, apple store will not sell you the phone after you cancel it and the phone will go back to the online inventory.

Redick, I know....

11. terzinator macrumors 6502

I do not understand this. It's like pooping hundreds of dollars away, not using the upgrade. What is the philosophy here?

My mother used to drive 20 miles out of her way because a particular grocery store had pork cutlets for 10 cents less a pound.