Has anyone here used Uno before?

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
Has anyone here used Uno before? You can check it out here. We all know how OS X is mixed with Aqua, Metal, Unified and whatnot, and basically what this does is unify all windows to the Unified look. It's free, looks solid, and has lots of good reviews on MacUpdate.

Im wondering if this is going to mess things up though when OS X updates come out. I always here horror stories when point releases come out and the people who had the real problems were the ones who were using UI modifier apps (like that piece of crap Shapeshifter from Unsanity). Will this do the same? Opinions/advice?

decksnap

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2003
I think a TON of people here use it. It comes up every fifth post. It has an uninstall button right in the program. You can just do that before you run your OS updates. Basically it saves a copy of the original graphic files, and then puts them back if you ask it to.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
I use it and it works great. I tried using Shapeshifter a little, but I just ended up uninstalling it. It just seemed to take away some of the elegance of the default OS X look, but UNO enhances it by unifying it all.

I've also never had any problems with system updates messing things up. Which isn't to say it never will happen, as I'm no expert. But I've never had one problem with UNO yet, and uninstalling is very very easy.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Wow, I was about to post this exact same question. Well, I think I'll be using Uno, cause' I HATE the brushed metal.

steelphantom

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2005
I tried it, and while it's nice, I can't stand the reduced size of the Apple and Spotlight logos on the menu bar. What's up with that? It's really annoying. :mad:

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
steelphantom said:
I tried it, and while it's nice, I can't stand the reduced size of the Apple and Spotlight logos on the menu bar. What's up with that? It's really annoying. :mad:
They don't really bother me but Uno is awesome makes OS X absolutely stunning!!! I have had it installed for a while and it has never given any problem's during system updates....Amazing app!!!

ShadoW

iTwitch

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2006
East of the Mississippi
I never installed it for fear of hosing future updates but after seeing what it can do for Firefox I broke down and installed it. Still haven't decided whether or not to uninstall when the next dot upgrade comes out?

Edit: Looks like I'll just forget it's there and enjoy the new look.

JonD25

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
iTwitch said:
I never installed it for fear of hosing future updates but after seeing what it can do for Firefox I broke down and installed it. Still haven't decided whether or not to uninstall when the next dot upgrade comes out?

Edit: Looks like I'll just forget it's there and enjoy the new look.
Uninstalling takes maybe 2-3 seconds, and it's just as quick installing. So if you really want to be safe, uninstall, log out and back in, run the update, and install it again.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 24, 2003
California
steelphantom said:

Whoa I never noticed that before...