Has anyone in the world used iMessage apps?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by Galacticos, Mar 12, 2017.

1. Galacticos macrumors 6502a

Galacticos

on yet another unfulfilling trip through the App Store I came across the iMessage apps, which I have not heard about since iOS keynote. Does anybody have any use for these at all!?

2. ZEEN0j macrumors 65816

ZEEN0j

Tried some when iOS 10 was released. Haven't really used it since and no one I know uses is either.

3. teddybearstand macrumors regular

teddybearstand

I use stickers once in a while to annoy friends. Its pretty useless just like the send message effects.

4. bransoj macrumors 6502a

Use some of the gif ones now and then and on occasion I've used the pedometer++ iMessage option to send steps done to folk.

5. Skoal macrumors 65816

I've used the message effects once in awhile and sent handwritten notes to my wife on occasion just to be sappy. I'm sure many people use them. Younger people most likely. I do find it nice to have scanner pro there and available. I've used it fairly often. I think the main problem with these sorts of features is remembering they're there. It took me forever to get used to using 3D Touch but now I use it a lot

6. v0lume4 macrumors 68000

v0lume4

Not really, no. I played iMessage games with my friend right when iOS 10 was released, but quickly the novelty wore off and I quit using them.

I only occasionally used the message effects. And lastly, for apps that offered iMessage extensions (like Square Cash), I would tend to use the actual app instead of the iMessage extension of that app.

That's my usage. My peers (aged in their young 20's) have similar usage habits IMO. Can't speak for the teens.

7. Abazigal macrumors G3

Abazigal

I guess one issue is that my friends all prefer whatsapp over iMessage, so I don't really use the app that much. I did send a Dropbox file within the iMessage app itself, which was cool, but it did result in 4 redirects.

Maybe if Apple releases iMessage for android, I could get my friends to use it more.

8. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

I've had rare occasions to us a translation app in iMessage, which is kind of cool to have. I don't quite trust automatic translation to handle a complex conversation though...

"My hovercraft is full of eels", and all that...

9. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I think used the American Airlines iMessage stickers once with my fiancée, but that's about it. They don't really appeal to me personally.

10. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

See, I could have used the Drafts iMessage app today to send the list of things I was putting together, but instead I just used the share sheet because it's already in muscle memory to share something via the app itself. Scanbot is another app I have that you can use within iMessage, but then I don't because I like tweaking the edges and other stuff.

The main thing I use within iMessage is the camera.

My brother and his friends use the games apps though, so I can't say that they're not doing well.

11. Ritsuke macrumors newbie

Ritsuke

I tried to use it but tend to always go back to either Messenger or WhatsApp. The fact that those 2 are OS universal has a lot to do with its use.

12. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

What app is that by the way ?

13. I7guy macrumors P6

Don't have any iMessage apps installed but use effects pretty regularly.

14. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

I've had mixed results. I use the camera all the time (but I kind of don't consider that an iMessage app, just a different place to access the camera). I've tried using Kayak to send trip search results, but that's pretty chopped up. Can only send one flight. I do use the GIF feature a lot, but there's not nearly as much to find there (Bing??) as if you go on Google itself, or even Twitter, to get them. I used the effects at first, but haven't lately (intentionally; occasionally a happy birthday or congratulations sets them off). An A for the idea, a C- for the implementation by Apple.

15. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Played with them for ten minutes when they first came out. Deleted 'em, forgot about 'em and don't miss 'em.

16. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

The only thing I know about it is that they have over complicated my simple texting interface.

All I ever wanted it to do is text. But now they've added all this other stuff that gets in the way and makes it cumbersome.

I spend more time getting out of things that happen accidentally and trying to change settings to stop irritating behavior.

iMessage has ruined the simple texting that worked so smoothly.

Adding apps and stickers and such is stuff I haven't gotten into. It's bad enough without making it more cumbersome.

17. stooovie macrumors 6502a

Does it really? You can type as you always did, I don't think anything goes in your way. The text field may be a bit smaller but that's it.

18. flyinmac macrumors 68040

flyinmac

Additional little icons in the way that bring up other stuff I don't need when bumped.

The new whatever it is that happens when the phone slightly tilts is also quite annoying.

19. eyeseeyou macrumors 68030

I use it to for yelp, gifs, eta and gamepidgeon.

I wish it had some integration with the stock apps such as calendar, notes and calculator

20. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

iTranslate is the one I have installed.

21. Hastings101 macrumors 68020

Hastings101

I use it with fandango and GamePigeon all the time

22. bransoj macrumors 6502a

With the typing cursor in the message field there is one icon either side that you'd be unlucky to continually catch by accident. They are hardly taking over the screen. Even if you catch that icon you just press back in the message field and they disappear.

If you mean the notepad type writing with your finger next time it comes up press the keyboard in the bottom corner. It then remembers that as the last option you had when in landscape mode and stays with it unless you purposely change it back to the drawing with your finger mode.

23. zhaoxin macrumors regular

You must be sleepy when you watch the keynote. It is the keynote, not just iOS keynote. In fact, Apple give it really some time on iMessage. However, even in its biggest market share country, the U.S., iOS is under 50% percent. So it is unpopularity for a reason.

24. C DM macrumors Westmere

That's not quite what the statistic implies.