Has anyone installed a 1TB internal drive into the cd-rom slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jbg232, Jul 8, 2011.

1. jbg232 macrumors 65816

jbg232

I want to upgrade my computer and change out the main hdd for an ssd and change out the cd-rom drive for an internal 1tb internal drive using an mce optibay or something similar. I read from the MCE optibay website that the 1TB cannot be put into unibodies because of the size of the drive, but I'm not sure if that is just their drive or all 1tb drives.

Does anyone know if a 1TB internal drive can be put into the cd-rom drive of a unibody macbook or macbook pro?

PS: Please do not suggest putting the 1TB drive where the main hdd is as the drive won't boot from sleep correctly if doing that.

2. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Yes there is a drive. All the previous 1TB 2.5" HDD's are 12.5mm high, that's why they won't fit in the optical drive bay.
    Samsung has just released the first 9.5mm 1TB drive. I put it in my optical drive bay a week ago and it works very well.
    This is the drive you want to get: Samsung HN-M101MBB

3. jbg232 thread starter macrumors 65816

jbg232

Sweet, thanks for the quick reply! There are no 6G 7200 RPM drives available right?

4. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

You're welcome.
    Don't think so. SATA 6G makes no sense for HDD's, only for SSD's.

5. zettahertz macrumors newbie

The optibay is only SATA2 also, so a SATA3 HDD wouldn't make any difference.

6. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

Some of the 2011 MBP do have Sata 6G in the optical bay. Testing has shown however that the 6G port in those is not reliable.