Has anyone installed lion on the first aluminum imac?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Bigtree, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Bigtree macrumors 6502

2. RJCP macrumors 6502

I have! :) I have 4GB of RAM, though and tried Lion first with 2GB and it wasn't a very nice experience... It ran but very choppy performance.

With 4GB it runs really well. I had absolutely no issues whatsoever during install (took me less than 30 minutes to install after downloading), setup assistant ran smoothly, so did Spotlight indexing.

Everything opens much quickly than on SL, I don't feel it overheating or the fans going berserk like other users reported. The only bug I've found and I've already reported it is that sometimes (not too often though) when I run Safari on Fullscreen, sometimes the "close tab" X button doesn't appear and I have to go to another app and then go back to Safari. Another annoying bug and this happens always while running safari in full screen is that when you open a new tab, it doesn't automatically select the web-address box like it does when not in full screen.

Other than these 2 glitches, it's running very smoothly and I'd dare say, less buggy that Snow Leopard's first release... Anyone else had that annoying SL bug that caused Exposé to jump around all the time? None of that crap with Lion (Mission Control is running flawlessly for me).

3. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

Great news, can I ask what version 1st iMac you have please?

I have a 2007 Core 2 Duo 2GHz, with 4Gb RAM, and Snow Leopard. I've purchased Lion of APp store but haven't installed it yet.

I was unsure how it will run on my "lowly" iMac as well, but for £21 was willing to give it a go. I upgraded to 4Gb from my original 1Gb as felt my iMac was beginning to slow with iPhoto library etc.

Would love to know your experiences of Lion on 1st iMac

cheers

4. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

Just got it and it works perfectly fine with no issues as far as I could try out (just got it).Aperture seems a bit faster too :)

5. MrMister111 macrumors 68010

what model please, specs etc. Does it feel better, worse, speedier/slower? you use iTunes and iPhoto?(what versions) how are they?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I have the _last_ "white" iMac, which was the model just before the "first" aluminum version.

Mine is the 2.1ghz model with 2.5gig of RAM.

Lion installed without problems and seems to run just fine.

I doubt you'll have any problems/limitations because of your hardware.

SUGGESTION:
    If you're currently on Snow Leopard, give some consideration to using CarbonCopyCloner to do a fully-bootable backup clone of your current OS/hard drive to a backup drive.

If something goes wrong, or if you find that you just don't care for Lion, having a bootable clone "gives you a pathway to get back" to your earlier OS.

Time Machine WON'T be of much use in that regard.

7. Bigtree thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks everyone. Do I really need 4 gigs of ram?

8. RJCP macrumors 6502

Very advisable... Not just for Lion itself because you'll feel a performance boost on all your Apps. RAM nowadays is really cheap to get (I got mine for less than 40GBP) and very easy to install.

9. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"Thanks everyone. Do I really need 4 gigs of ram?"

My 2007 white Intel iMac seems to handle Lion fine with 2.5gig of RAM.

My suggestion:
    Give it a go with the RAM you currently have installed, and if that seems a little slow to you, just add some more.

BTW, I have found datamem.com a very reliable and competitively-priced source for RAM. No financial interest other than a satisfied customer. They have a "Mac configurator" which will point the way to just what you need.

10. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

It got faster and Yes Itunes I do use and it is about the same speed maybe a tad snappier (Itunes 10.4) and no I don't use Iphoto as Aperture is a lot more advanced.

iMac 7.1 2.4 GHZ 4gb ram and original stock drive. Aperture on an external harddrive via firewire 800, feel free to ask more questions

11. hollerz macrumors 6502a

hollerz

Exactly the same iMac here, works fine! I'd agree with it not necessarily being faster, but certainly not any slower. The new iTunes runs better for me too!

12. RG129 macrumors member

Upgraded on my 2.0 Ghz Core 2 Duo with no problems. I do have 4GB of RAM and actually think it's a little speedier than Snow Leopard was.

Only problem is there are a few rare occasions when the animations to Mission Control or to open a folder in Launchpad are a bit choppy. Other than that, I'm happy.

And what mouse are you using?? Are you still using the ball scroll mouse? I actually just yesterday blew $69 on a magic trackpad to get the full Lion experience with all the gestures. It's definitely an upgrade.