Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

karlth

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
I've heard differing reports on whether it is possible to use the OEM version of Windows 7.

Anyone tried it?

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
And exactly why wouldn't it activate....?

It will work fine, but don't expect to get more than 1 activation out of a OEM key. If you need to re-activate you will have to call Microsoft.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
And exactly why wouldn't it activate....?

It will work fine, but don't expect to get more than 1 activation out of a OEM key. If you need to re-activate you will have to call Microsoft.

Ah, well that makes sense. Based on the posts above I thought for some reason the OEM version was incompatible with Boot Camp. I was thinking about swapping out my XP for W7 and the OEM copies are the cheapest way to do it (while remaining legal, of course).

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
(while remaining legal, of course).

There's the rub with OEM.

It is legal to buy, and you can physically install it and have it work, but is it a valid/legitimate/"legal" license?

Read this disclaimer NewEgg attaches to their OEM listings. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116983 (details page).

Use of this OEM System Builder Channel software is subject to the terms of the Microsoft OEM System Builder License. This software is intended for pre-installation on a new personal computer for resale. This OEM System Builder Channel software requires the assembler to provide end user support for the Windows software and cannot be transferred to another computer once it is installed. To acquire Windows software with support provided by Microsoft please see our full package "Retail" product offerings.

Read the licenses and decide for yourself if you are complying with the terms of sale and if you care.

Don't fool yourself that OEM is intended for use by end-users as a "not-Microsoft-supported" version of the OS. They make it quite clear that that is not the intent. http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/licensing/sblicensing/pages/licensing_for_hobbyists.aspx

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.