Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cuesca

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2012
Me, I installed it on my only Mac. I have a PC for games and work, as well as a work computer. And everything I have is stored in Dropbox or Microsoft Access/Outlook anyways.

revenent

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2008
Installed it on my main drive. Only running into problems with slower then normal laugh times on certain applications. Parallels Desktop 8 is not functioning for me at all though. But i heard version 9 still works.

All in all pretty happy

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I've currently got DP4 running on two of my main machines. Other than minor glitches, I'm glad to be using it as a daily driver. Really digging the new look and although it's still in beta it seems slicker/snappier (especially Safari).

Very few applications are incompatible that I've come across (many due to updates published since DP1).

Even the beta Server release is functioning without a hitch and I'm able to deploy images and admin devices from it (mind you I do have a Mavericks Server backup just in case).

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Yep, installed on my main laptop a 2013 Retina 15" MacBook Pro and also on my MacPro

Runs Office 2011 as my main office suite, only issue I have to date is OneNote, crashes when it opens and doesn't go any further.

I have a 2013 Retina and OneNote works fine. Maybe try a reinstall of ON. OneDrive crashes for me when I try to utilize selective sync.

---------------
I installed it on a separate partition and use it about 80% of the time. My most used app is Safari, which is noticeably improved. I don't love the new UI, but I won't let Mavericks go yet because I need VMWare and several other apps that are not yet ready for Yosemite.

Last edited:

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Running nicely on my 2011 iMac but I started getting graphical glitches. I had to run Istat Menus to raise the fan speed.

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
Yep I did that. Installed it on my main computer. It's has a few bugs "or lag of functions" at the moment, but looks great. Absolutly useable :)

I didn't wan't to at first but my curiosity got hold of me :)

SinbadtheSailor

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2013
Installed today on my daily drive. Seems to be working fine with minimal trouble as of yet.

I did take a few sensible precautions first, a time machine back up on a drive now unplugged and put to one side. Also a bootable carbon copy clone on an external drive. After that the paranoia subsided enough to hit install.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Everyone seems to be raving about the speed of safari but for me Chrome feels snappier. I have Yosemite installed on an external HD with USB 3.0. Do you think if I installed it on my main HD it would be different speed wise?

I doubt it. I imagine it would run about the same on either installation. Keep an eye on it's resource usage as Chrome has a reputation for eating excessive CPU cycles. This is a problem especially for those on laptops using battery power.

shanson27

macrumors 68020
Nov 27, 2011
I Installed it on my main drive as main OS, because I don't have enough space on my internal hard drive ! :)

Image%202014-07-28%20at%2012.48.48%20PM%F0%9F%8C%9B.png

gmc

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2010
I am using Yosemite first beta as my main OS in an early 2011 MacBook Pro with 8GB RAM (I did a Time Backup just before installing 10.10). Everything is working fine, I mosly use Internet Apps (Browsers, Mail, Reeder, Dropbox, ...), Web-developing apps (like Code 2 and Transmit), Ms Office and LaTeX (TexLive 2012). I also play som Bilzzard Harthstone from time to time, and, of course, I see movies with VLC. Yosemite looks great!

GhettoMrBob

macrumors regular
May 21, 2014
I have a 2013 Retina and OneNote works fine. Maybe try a reinstall of ON. OneDrive crashes for me when I try to utilize selective sync.

---------------
I installed it on a separate partition and use it about 80% of the time. My most used app is Safari, which is noticeably improved. I don't love the new UI, but I won't let Mavericks go yet because I need VMWare and several other apps that are not yet ready for Yosemite.

What issues are you having with VMware? I've been using it on my Yosemite install and it's working quite well.

Xiph0s

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008
New York, NY
I have -- I installed it not only on my DD but also my main work machine. I'm a software developer and so far I've had no major issues. I'm using Eclipse, Xcode and IntelliJ with 0 problems. Developing without a hitch.

mtembezi

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
I didn't backup and I guess I've the biggest feedback to Apple!

I a moment of drowsiness I installed Yosemite on my 2012 MBP without a complete backup.
I got all the bugs.
- no dock, i.e. absolutely no dock like in OS9
- no 'click and drag' in finder or adobe apps
- no application switcher
- no notification sidebar

I giving all the feedback I can hopefully public Beta 2 will have the fixes.
Right now I'm using my backup machine.
:eek:

kurosov

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2009
Technically yes.

I created a full clone of my OS drive and installed over that. Essentially using Yosemite with all my apps/settings etc but can swap right back to Mavericks if i encounter any problems.

Also, have Time Machine backups running just in case.

clickclickw00t

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
I swapped a spare 120GB Force GT SSD in my 2011 MBP and installed just to test it out. Runs about 75% I would say, I have spotty wi-fi, crashes in settings, and weird issues when increasing sizes of windows and going full-screen in screen sharing. I like the new look though.

Sirious

macrumors 68000
Jan 2, 2013
United Kingdom
I did, and I actually didn't do a full backup prior to the update.

I should note, though, that daily driver is probably a misnomer for me. I have a small enough library of critical documents and data (photos/music) that it's all backed up on free cloud services.

I haven't checked on my Windows 8 partition yet, but I use that so rarely, that I didn't really mind if something happened to it.

This is exactly how I went ahead with my install - except I have a partition with Windows 7 :p

inssy2588

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2011
Yes, with a TM backup.

However, I find when I let it sit for a minute or two with no activity, the machine freezes and I have to do a manual reboot.

I'm running a Mid-2009 MB Pro

daijholt

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2013
Wales, UK
I had the developer previews on an external drive, but when the public beta came out I took that as a sign that it's stable enough to not blow up my macbook. Thoroughly backed up beforehand and then installed it over Mavericks.

So far, 80% of things are running better than Mavericks ever did. The odd glitch is present, but that's what this beta is designed to root out.

I'm not worried about major bugs showing up as I use important apps, because most of the ones I use are on iOS as well, and as it turns out, I can do 80% of my work on my iPad too ;)

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
What issues are you having with VMware? I've been using it on my Yosemite install and it's working quite well.

I haven't tested it (only have one license), but I read some users complaining about Yosemite crashes and I just don't want to deal with that.

HelloMikee

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
San Diego
I'm crazy and have it on all three computers. iMac and macbook pro retina at home and my iMac at work.

Honestly I just love the look, I couldn't help it. All is fine and made sure my computers at home did everything I needed at work because I could easily work from those.

judgedeath2

macrumors member
Jul 18, 2013
alfred is better. if you type safa in alfred and immediately press enter it will open safari. try doing so in new spotlight. you have to write "safari", wait a couple seconds and only after that press enter. it blows.

what are you on about mate? that's not the case at all. i type "saf"[enter] and safari comes up. "chr" [enter] as fast as i can type it and chrome loads immediately.

Klaatu63

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
New Jersey
Yes, Installation was uneventful

After three days of testing I have not encountered any major problems. The installation process was smoothly and the only minor issue is understanding the bookmark changes in Safari 8.0.

I am testing on a 2010 iMac with 4 gig and system performance seems unchanged. Safari actually seems to perform better with Yosemite.

In the event that the the poop hits the fan I have a Carbon Copy Cloner (CCC) bootable backup to facitltate a recovery.

jukebox1298

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
VMware Fusion

The only things that don't work are Little Snitch (supposedly a nightly build that works with Yosemite is available, but I haven't bothered) and VMWare Fusion 6.0.2.

I have VMware Fusion 6.0.4 and runs just fine under Yosemite on my 2007 MacBook Pro. On my 2006 Mac Pro, I have the same version of VMware running under Mavericks, and have set up a Yosemite VM that also works very well. Funny thing is that I was running Parallels Desktop 9 and it prompted me yesterday to install patches for Yosemite, which I did, and it failed miserably setting up a Yosemite VM. Installed VMware, and had Yosemite up and running in a VM in about an hour. Now I need to move the rest of my VMs from Parallels to VMware. No sense running multiple Hypervisors.

jukebox1298

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2013
My experience so far

Has been excellent. I bit the bullet and installed it on my 2007 MacBook Pro, and it is running great. All of my apps work (i.e. Office 365, Groupwise, Groupwise Messanger, VPN client, Remote Desktop client). Safari is greatly improved. Only thing is that it takes noticeably longer to boot. Looks like there will be an SSD upgrade in my near future.

----------

Odd...

My Parallels 9 installed some update and then worked flawlessly from there on.

This on a MBP w/Retina late 2012, 8Gb RAM

Parallels itself ran fine after the update, and my Windows and Linux VMs ran fine, It just couldn't install Yosemite in a VM. VMware did with no problems, and the Yosemite VM is running just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.