Has anyone made a correlation between production week X and iphone issue Y?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by HyQuality, Aug 14, 2008.

1. HyQuality macrumors regular

I have week 29 and I'm about to throw this thing out the window.

2. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

What specific issues are you having? I have a week 29 and I have some issues with 3G/EDGE switching and a relatively crappy battery. However, my screen lag is not as bad as some are reporting, my light leak is minimal, and I have no housing cracks yet.

3. HyQuality thread starter macrumors regular

My issues (I'm in Midtown Manhattan, FYI):

1) Apps constantly crashing... even apple's apps (safari, mail, etc). I keep having to reboot my iPhone, which fixes the problem temporarily.

2) Can't hold a solid signal anywhere. Switches from Edge to 3G to No Service constantly. Dropped calls galore is a given.

3) I have NEVER seen any download speeds above the 200kb range. VERY SLOW to say the least. And I'm talking about 3G with 5 bars.

WTF Apple?

P.S. -- This is my 3rd iPhone 3G.

4. essential macrumors regular

Probably a dumb question, but how exactly do you check what week your phone is? Are certain weeks known to have more problems than others?

5. rizajj macrumors member

4th and 5th digit of your serial #.

Mine is week 24, no problems (comparatively to many others here).

and we dont know if certain weeks have more problems, that's what the OP is trying to figure out.....

6. ribenaberrie macrumors member

I have a week 29 and so far I haven't noticed any problems.

7. AGEC2008 macrumors member

I have 29 and my sound is my main problem. Half the time my alerts don't work and my sound bar in the settings constantly goes back to the default if not lower. It will make the noise when I sent a txt but now when I receive one, etc. My range on signal varies A LOT. I don't live close to an apple store so I can;t just pop in and see whats up.

8. brian4610 macrumors regular

I too have a range of signal and a week 29 phone....i also am not getting my "push" email do just that....i'll get 90% of the emails (some don't reach my iphone for a day or so..), but i don't think i've gotten push to work after i set it up...

9. ArmyMirage macrumors member

Week 31 16gig Black iPhone. No problems so far; perfect wifi, no light leaks, no cracks, no dead pixels, no typing lag or program crashes. Cannot test 3G (not available in my area) but when I move back to Houston I should get to see it in action.

10. SOLLERBOY macrumors 6502a

ditto , exactly the same , no problems at all week 31 , black 16gb.

11. AGEC2008 macrumors member

No sound problems with the week 31? Looks like I am going to have to go to Apple at some point and gripe until I get what I want.

12. Next Tuesday macrumors 6502a

Next Tuesday

Week 27 here and no issues at all.

13. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

me too, no problems at all week 31 , black 16gb

14. daniels macrumors member

Week 32 and absolutely no problems... other than the fact that the metal bezel isn't completely lined up on one corner. it sticks up above the screen just barely on the bottom right.

15. retsam macrumors newbie

I have a week 29 black 16 gig and im having problems with both disconnects and battery life. I turned off 3g, push notification, Wifi and Bluetooth and i still have crappy battery life. It lasts maybe 5 hours with little activity.

16. Legends20036 macrumors member

I just got a week 31 white 16gb (4th replacement) and this one has a horrible light leak. About 1/3 of the left side has a gap where you can see the gasket was placed a little under the screen and so is not doing its whole job (this also is making the screen be raised above the casing on the left side). Not planning to swap again as this will be covered up by a case. If a day comes when everything truly seems to be completely fixed in production then I may switch it.

17. OverSpun macrumors 6502a

OverSpun

I have a week 29 16gb black phone... only issue on mine is the 3G crap everyone is dealing with.

18. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

I also have week 29 and everything is fine. Phone works great. You know the funny thing is I had a few dropped calls / static when I purchased my phone in Atlanta and using obviously towers in the ATL but since I have been back in Puerto Rico I have yet to drop a call or hear static. This also could be related to updating to 2.0.1 the day I left Atlanta so I am not sure if firmware or tower related.

19. mpleonard macrumors newbie

20. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

I am on my 3rd iPhone 3g. I am not sure of the first one. But the last 2 have both been week 31 and both have light leaks. And this current week 31 has an aweful headphone jack issue. When using non iPhone headphones the iPod app will play and pause randomly. Making pandora useless. I have my 3rd appointment at the genius bar tomorrow. (3rd in two weeks). I will not live with a light leak and I restored 3 times trying to get the headphone jack bug fixed. I am now convinced it is a hardware issue.

Back to the store we go! I wish there was a way to test for light leaks in the store, but it's really bright in there :(

21. wronski macrumors 6502

Margin of error is going to exist regardless of where or when the product was produced.

22. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

must be a pretty large margin. I have seen an aweful lot of people on these boards on their 4th or 5th 3g due to hardware defects. This is turning into the Xbox 360 all over again.