Has anyone made VOIP calls on the ipod 4G?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by jay81, Sep 24, 2010.

1. jay81 macrumors member

how has the experience been if so.
    Are you using the built in Mic or are you using headphone with a mic?
    Any recommended apps for doing this?

2. Mr Slippy IV macrumors 6502

Mr Slippy IV

So far, Skype and Vonage V-Free work nicely with the iPod touch 4 in the following configurations:

No headphones
    Apple headphones with remote and mic
    Apple headphones with mic
    Bose MiE2 with mic

3. trajen macrumors 6502a

I've made a bunch of calls with Skype with and without my in-ear headphones with mic. Sound quality is great. Some people have asked if they are on speakerphone. I can't believe I get unlimited calls for $36/year! I'll never buy another iPhone again. :p

4. krefi macrumors newbie

If someone asks if it's a speakerphone, that's not a compliment to the sound quality. I'm just sayin'...:rolleyes:

5. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

Made a skype to skype call to my aunt in Korea, she said the sound was much clearer than the elecom microphone which I thought was quite decent.

6. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've made a few calls through Skype, via Google 411. Sounds pretty good to me. I'm thinking of paying and even getting a Skype in and out number.

7. trajen macrumors 6502a

Did I SAY that it was a compliment? :rolleyes: I was just stating my experience. Don't ASSume.

And by the way, I really hate when people add "just sayin'" to the end of an insult. Which stupid pop culture reference did you get that from?

8. krefi macrumors newbie

I apologize. It seems I misunderstood the intent of your wording.

9. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Technically, if you have placed a FaceTime call, then you've made an end-to-end VoIP call.

Just sayin' :D (I kid!)

-- Nathan

10. ClaireL macrumors 6502a

ClaireL

I first heard a kid always use that expression back in 1983 when I was in High school. It's not a pop culture reference but a way of someone simply expressing that they were only "saying" how they felt despite the indifference from the other party.

Doesn't bother me none :)

11. The Sheck macrumors member

12. The Past macrumors 6502

Are the mic and speaker placement exactly as they would be on a phone (bottom and top respectively)?

The reason I am asking is because I want to know if it is possible to use it as a phone, by holding it by the ear. Or does it have to be speakerphone when no headset is attached?

13. skiltrip macrumors 68030

I've been continuing to use Skype on the new touch and I love it. Very clear, and no different in experience than talking on an iPhone in speakerphone, aside from the max volume on the touch being lower than the iPhone is capable of.

14. vanzantapple macrumors 6502

vanzantapple

Whistle works pretty well. I did have a couple of problems though. I have to put my password in when I open the app and after I dial the number before it will send. Also it won't allow incoming calls. I'm probably doing something wrong or my router is the problem. Either way I just wanted Whistle to make occasional calls, not receive them.

15. OldMacGuy macrumors newbie

Ooma Mobile

I use Ooma Mobile on 4g IPod touch. The sound is clear without headphones and it works very well with Contacts. Because I have Ooma Telo Premier VOIP for Land Lines, it includes 250 minutes Free each month for domestic calls and low cost international rates (about $.02/.03 per minute Europe).

Ooma Mobile is available on app store for one time charge of $9.99. You do need to have an Ooma VOIP account, but that has been my Landline for the past year.

16. Ving macrumors newbie

17. sam8940 macrumors newbie

Try whistle its free domestic calls and very low Priced international. :apple: