Has anyone managed to reinstall a 2011 MacBook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by podiki, Jan 19, 2012.

1. podiki macrumors member

I have bricked mine and I don't seem to be able to reinstall it. I went back to my Apple Premium Reseller and they didn't manage either. The recovery install failed to download the necessary files, the same problem I had at home...

So here I am with a bricked one day old MacBook Air.... Anybody got any idea how to get it running again?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Perhaps it would help if you shared how you were able to brick a one day old MBA
    That might give us an idea of how to proceed

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The other thread the OP started on this same topic gives a bit more detail that may prove useful.

4. podiki thread starter macrumors member

I booted it. Tried to download the updates. Which went well, but they couldn't be processed. Tried it again, after rebooting. Well, I thought, let's have some of that Lion Recovery goodness and I went to the recovery thing with command-R . First I threw away my regular boot partition and made a fresh one and then I chose reinstall. It tried to download a DMG, but every time after about 20 minutes it fails stating that there are data validation issues. That's how I've done it.

----------

Oh sorry, I already started a thread. Exhaustion, I was up until 3am to try and fix it. It takes a long time when it starts downloading and fails after 30 minutes.

5. johnhurley macrumors 6502a

johnhurley

Sounds like perhaps a hardware problem ... I would return it.

6. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

I have successfully wiped and reinstalled one (before returning it).

In my case the problem was that it didn't like my wifi router for some reason. I used another one (with no password configured) and it worked fine then.

7. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

This is why apple needs to include a thumbdrive of lion with every new air! Or at least make one that works (one for sale at apple store doesn't work) for purchase!

8. bigeasy_uk macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem recently, on a white macbook c2d. I was installing lion from a disk, It started downloading files then after 10 mins it failed. It turns out it was the hdd failing, chock full of bad sectors!
    Might not be the same reason it is failing for you but thought I'd share anyway.

9. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I have wiped and reinstalled mine about 4 times and installed and reinstalled windows about 5 times. You either got a bad unit or really have no clue how to use a computer and probably shouldn't be doing more than turning it on and using it and turning it off.

10. podiki thread starter macrumors member

I cracked it!! With my Mac Pro I installed Lion on an external drive and I hooked that up to the Air. it didn't find wifi, but with a USB WIFI adapter, I could get it to work. I downloaded Lion from the App Store and installed it on the internal drive.

11. mac jones macrumors 68040

i've done Internet recovery about five times, no issues.

Except perhaps, that it takes ages :D.

note: It actually is a very great new thing. For obvious reasons.

As far as it not working.....dunno. Probably hardware, or maybe your wireless.

12. gentlefury macrumors 68030

Any time machine drive will work just fine for installation since it installs the recovery partition into it.