Has anyone mounted their Mini under a desk?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Mikel30, Jun 3, 2015.

1. Mikel30 macrumors member

I live in a small apartment where space is at a premium. So I'm considering mounting my Mini under my workspace. Just wondering if anyone has done this, and if there are any heat / airflow concerns? My Mini doesn't get too hot, but it seems like it uses the large metal top as a heat sink, and I would be concerned about the effect of the desk directly above that. As well as the proper way to make sure the vents are clear.

2. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

My 2012 mini has been under my desk on a shelf since I purchased it new.
    It has never given me a moments concern, in fact just the opposite, I feel guilty for ignoring it.
    I needed to use a flashlight to get the photo, pardon the dust, as I mentioned it has been ignored. 2015-06-03 16.25.58.jpg

3. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

I've considered what you're saying for my newly-purchased mini, although I haven't done it. jbarley's solution looks like what I would do if I were to go that route. You want to make sure that you have a nice air gap around the entire machine and the way he has the back of his facing forward instead of up against a wall of the desk is probably the best idea for air intake. I actually find the mini beautiful (even if it is just an aluminum box with an Apple logo!) so that would be why I haven't yet tried this. My home desk is super small though, so this would be nice to free up some space.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Mounting it 'rear facing forward' makes for very easy access to all the connections also.

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have mine sitting on a shelf under my television - in a space about 3" high along with a DirecTV DVR, a SlingBox, and an AppleTV. It's been there for several years and never experienced any problems.

IMG_4249.JPG