Has anyone needed to replace their iPad Pencil tip yet?

fink13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Washington State
I have had my Pencil since December and haven't noticed any change in the tip. Has anyone else need to change theirs yet?

TrueBlou

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
Nope, had mine for months and still on the original tip. I guess the rate of degradation is partly linked to how much pressure you place on the tip when you use it.
If you've got a light touch it'll probably last quite a while.

A.R.E.A.M.

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2015
Los Angeles, California
Yeah bought the pencil launch day and had to replace one due to me dropping the thing tip down on this hard @$$ floor here at the office, not once, not twice, but several times over a few days (ya know new toy, novelty, showing it off, etc). :) That was back in January and I am on the backup tip that came with the pencil. The tips are surprisingly rigid and tough, but they are no match for repeated abuse dropping them tip down on a floor.... :)

I have 4 spares so I am ready for anything... :)

Suggest keeping the tip wiped down frequently to prevent anything from scratching the tablet face...

Reactions: webdevfreak

Bbqthis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2015
Bay Area, CA
Yeah bought the pencil launch day and had to replace one due to me dropping the thing tip down on this hard @$$ floor here at the office, not once, not twice, but several times over a few days (ya know new toy, novelty, showing it off, etc). :) That was back in January and I am on the backup tip that came with the pencil. The tips are surprisingly rigid and tough, but they are no match for repeated abuse dropping them tip down on a floor.... :)

Suggest keeping the tip wiped down frequently to prevent anything from scratching the tablet face...
Do you have a photo of the packaging for the spare nibs? I've been super curious how they ship...

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

alecgold

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2007
NLD

Old thread, but I change office floors from vinyl or carpet to a kind of epoxy-tiny-gravel floor and man, every time the pencil drops it either dings the cap or the tip. And when the tip gets a ding, there is a good chance of showing some brass insert and I'm not going to risk scratching my precious 12.9" screen. So I think I'm on nib no. 6 or 7 :(
I've attached a pencil p-205 clip to the pencil of my 9.7" iPP and that one hardly ever falls.
I use the 9.7 to clip the pencil to the keyboard and walk around the office, take it to short meetings to have a notepad and to have all files with me when I need them in a jiffy.
The clips is serious handy for that, but a huge annoyance when writhing with it. The point of the clip tends to just scratch and irritate my hand when I write and that is really annoying.

So Apple needs to make a vanishing clip like Lamy did on the dialog 3 rollerball. That one is magic! I have no idea how they would integrate that into the stuffed Pencil without making it a baseball bat diameter, but it would be nice. They could also make the point retractable.
Keep dreaming :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.