Has anyone noticed that even ppl who used to dismiss the iPhone respect it now more than ever?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bobby Corwen, Jun 24, 2015.

1. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Even all those Android or anti-Apple types who even a couple years ago had all these misconceptions or biases towards the iPhone have finally come around to either being curious, or even switching over and buying into the whole experience, finally, years later.

It seems like this year, this major upgrade release has finally put the nail in the coffin on any notions that iPhone is some kind of device only for "simpletons" or "too luxury" or this and that. Whatever misconceptions were commonly going around seem to have been greatly reduced and relegated to the most fringe of anti-Apple people.

I have had many friends and family that have in the last few months pop up with Apple products and I would never have expected them to.

My co-worker who is in music school was blown away when I made a whole mini arrangement in like 45 seconds in Garageband. The next paycheck he got one after only ever having had Sammy.

My dad even got one! And he's always been a huge Apple hater. He got some handme down white Macbook and a used iPad 2 (for church he says is the excuse on the podium for reading lyrics) and he just quietly has been curious.

I think this is a sign that this year Apple has come closer to total domination.

Its saturated so deep in our world that even the most hardened antis are finding it hard not to be lured into that well known temptation from the Apple halo effect and presentation that we all got addicted to long ago.

Even people who didnt get it for a long time are finally seeming to get it!

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

I see people get whatever works for them or whatever they want at the time. They don't bother putting in any effort in putting down another OS or anything like that. Just use what works for them and go about their life.

3. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Not sure why people care what phone others are using..... I don't notice people are starting to "get it" because what's to "get"? Maybe you need to re-think the people you're hanging out with if this is the type of thing you guys collectively worry about. If it's just you worrying about it may I suggest you re-think your priorities in life as what others use and think about apple products isn't really important.... after all it's a personal choice and apple isn't the fit for all.

4. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

you just love to put people down don't you. perhaps you need to find something to make yourself happier in life then be cynical to people online in a message board about iPhones and apple products.

5. vixenite macrumors newbie

What an oddly hostile response.

For what it's worth, OP, I agree! My brother has told me time and time again how much he hates Apple products - and yet, he just went and bought himself an iPad and I've not often seen him without it in his hands.

I think people are just realising how easy to use and awesome Apple products really are, and not disregarding them because of the price tag.

6. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Heh, it's the opposite for me. Getting pretty sick of the 16GB base storage and the fact we're paying through the nose for these products. Sadly I'm too invested in the ecosystem and I find the OS more intuitive than the competition, so I'm just sticking with them. I try to avoid buying the latest where possible, but my hand was somewhat forced into buying a 5S after I upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7 (an absolutely horrendous experience, wish I never updated from iOS 4 to be honest).

Of course they are nice products and good quality, better than the competition for sure. However Apple's recent increased self-satisfying smugness is beginning to irk me. They only make phones and computers at an astonishing markup and they act like they're the second coming.

TL;DR: yeah they're nice products, though I think you're still in your honeymoon phase :)

7. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I always thought of Apple in terms of a rolercoaster ride. They were the first to come out with a modern smartphone and attracted everyone's attention. They were ahead of the game for years. Then, it just seemed like Android (with the 2.3 and 4.0 relases) finally actually caught up and passed Apple in terms of software innovation, and the hardware manufacturers started producing much better devices soon afterwards. Only problem was a lot of the Android software was buggy, support was slow to fix anything, and the apps people started loving stopped receiving updates and soon ceased to exist while Google "migrated" their functionality to other apps.

However, in recent years, Apple has made an amazing surge in the software on their phones (always had amazing hardware). I still couldn't join the Apple crowd as I enjoyed my larger Android devices (iPhone 6 size), so I waited. Another factor Apple has going for it is a lot of devs seem to develop for Apple first, making the OS more popular.

I don't think the iPhone should've ever been perceived a a phone for simpletons, as the less technologically inclined will either buy the most popular phone (Apple or Samsung) or just buy the cheapest they can.

I do feel iPhones are too expensive for what they are, but that is the Apple way!

8. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

Hmm. So his priorities in life are messed up, yet here you are on an Apple forum that, for all sensible purposes, is completely insignificant to our everyday lives yet here we are, wasting time.

I love those on these forums that get on their high horse about how it's just a phone, computer, tablet, and everyone takes it way too seriously, yet they are serious enough to be on a forum about those very products.

OP-Yes, 3 of my best friends have all ditched the Note 4 for the 6+. They got sick of the inconsistent battery life, terrible Samsung software, and most importantly, all of the crap bloatware that hinders carrier based Android phones.

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yep, carrier branded Android phones have too much junk, even non carrier branded phones sometimes. The best Android phones tend to run stock, but stock doesn't have all the features of other phones, or the iPhone (especially camera software) and you have to download everything you want. For some it works, I like it myself, but it gets tiring after a while.

10. UAV macrumors regular

i never really look around to see what people are using as a phone. but when i read this post. i decided to take a look around my work place just see who is using what. and i see way more android users than iphone users by far. and since i was in observation mode i also notice something very funny that i have never noticed before. and that was that just about all the iphones users had there charging cable on there desk. none of the android users had there charging cables at there desk.

11. sunking101 macrumors 603

sunking101

I find it baffling that the iPhone 6 and 6+ are the devices that finally got people onboard, Apple's most lacklustre products probably ever.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

When I actually do pay attention to something like that in various places I often notice that it can be different--sometimes more iOS devices other times more non-iOS devices (Android and Windows)...so I can really only go with 50/50 as an overall estimate/summary based on occasional observations here and there.

13. ABC5S macrumors 68040

I don't pay attention either to what people are using. Have better things to do. I get what works for me after doing a lot of research.

14. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Apple and iOS is great right! ;)

Yet jailbreaking is still quite popular.

15. lazard macrumors 65816

People want large phones.

16. agentsmithone macrumors member

I've noticed around me that many of the people who simply got smartphones for larger screens had Androids and now with the larger screens on iPhones now they have in large part switched. The main people actively advocating or sticking to Android seems to be the actively anti-Apple devotees as well as the heavy modders (hacking, rooting, flashing) of Android OS. I don't personally know a single person, including myself, that jailbreaks their iPhone any more out of at least a half dozen several years ago.

17. Bobby Corwen, Jun 25, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2015

Bobby Corwen thread starter macrumors 68030

Guys please don't post just to troll.

Its a reasonable question.

No need to spam that you don't think about this stuff. Just don't post if you don't. No need to be negative.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

Seems like I covered it all there. :apple: