Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
I don't know if anyone has made this observation re the evolution of the iPad vs the iPhone, but the iPad 2 went to a rounded back from the square, flat back of the iPad 1. The iPhone went in the opposite direction from the rounded back of the 3 generation to the flat back of the iPhone 4.

I'm not sure what it means except that some complained the older phone would not sit still for keying when sitting on a table while the curved iPad is easier to hold.

mcdj

macrumors G3
Jul 10, 2007
NYC
huh? the iPad 1 had a bulging back. iPad 2 is flat with tapered edges.

shareef777

Suspended
Jul 26, 2005
Chicago, IL
I don't know if anyone has made this observation re the evolution of the iPad vs the iPhone, but the iPad 2 went to a rounded back from the square, flat back of the iPad 1. The iPhone went in the opposite direction from the rounded back of the 3 generation to the flat back of the iPhone 4.

I'm not sure what it means except that some complained the older phone would not sit still for keying when sitting on a table while the curved iPad is easier to hold.

You may be confused, as iPad1 had a rounded back. The flat SIDE of iPad1 became rounded/beveled in iPad2, and that's only because of how thin iPad2 is.

mrcalabash

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2011
You may be confused, as iPad1 had a rounded back. The flat SIDE of iPad1 became rounded/beveled in iPad2, and that's only because of how thin iPad2 is.

Maybe I stated it wrong. Didn't the iPad 1 have a completely flat bottom while the 2 curves up at the edges, and the phone went in the opposite direction? That's what I meant to say.

Maaz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2010
Maybe I stated it wrong. Didn't the iPad 1 have a completely flat bottom while the 2 curves up at the edges, and the phone went in the opposite direction? That's what I meant to say.

iPad 1 had a round back. iPad 2 has flat back.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
iPad 1 had a round back. iPad 2 has flat back.

Yes, but to be more exact, the iPad 1 curved more gradually, and most of its back was rounded. iPad 2 has a sharper curve, but its back is mostly flat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.