Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Yeah but once iPhone users start to flood the LTE network who says they won't change it to 3GB??? Where is it written in stone at they have to keep it at 5GB for LTE devices???

I bet they change it by Christmas.

I'll take that bet:D
They can change anything at any time, noone knows.
But typically LTE handles traffic better, more efficient and LTE devices and service areas are still few.
But they are already pissing everyone off with their shady moves, I think it will be a long time till LTE starts getting saturated and speeds are impacted to start pulling public pissing moves like that.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
Check your actual data usage. How much do you actually use? ...You'll use more when tethering but it still might be much less than 5GB. Make a data-based decision.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
i wont switch no way in hell. Been using pdanet with hide tethering and i only tether to my ipad. I think the people getting caught arent using this program and using it to tether to their computers. Ive never had a problem in the past year.
Also att wont throttle till 5gb on the new lte network from what ive read. So why switch?

only crappy thing is there probably wont be a jailbreak for the new phone till the end of the year. guess ill have to put up with that.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
You all act as if that plan is truly unlimited!!! "They'll have to grip it out of my dead cold hands before I give it up." Wow.

NEWSFLASH... ITS NOT UNLIMITED. It just a plan with no overages.

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I read that if you want to subsidize a new iPhone you have to sign up to a new mobile share plan or pick one of the other plans. In other words you have to get rid of the unlimited data plan in order to get the new iPhone at subsidized pricing.

I'm guessing a lot of people are going to be losing unlimited unless you're willing to shell out $$$$$ for a factory unlocked iPhone.

The mobile share plans feel like a rip off. I have 2 iPhone's and 2 dumb phones on my family plan right now. With mobile share I would have to buy the data bank and then pay 35 for each iPhone and 30 each for the dumb phones on top of the data price. The dumb phones only need access to the minutes so I don't understand why they charge 30 for that.

I'll probably just sign up to the 5gb/tethering plan on my iPhone and the 3gb plan on the other phone and the dumb phones can just stay as is. Really don't want to lose my unlimited, but I can't justify the factory unlocked pricing since I only use about 1.5 gb of data a month. so I guess I don't really need unlimited.

Mobile share plan is ridiculous.

Last edited:

Big.Mac.Daddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
I read that if you want to subsidize a new iPhone you have to sign up to a new mobile share plan or pick one of the other plans. In other words you have to get rid of the unlimited data plan in order to get the new iPhone at subsidized pricing.

You are mistaken... VERIZON does this, not AT&T.

AT&T is a good company that lets you keep your unlimited data even if you upgrade :)

Verizon is a **** company though for forcing people off unlimited :mad:

Dominicanyor

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2012
Florida
I am a college student (out of the house alot for study groups w/ my netbook) and I was recently thinking of switching from my $30/unlimited data plan to the $50/5gb tethering plan but I feel just terrible giving up my unlimited data on AT&T :(

I have a 15% fan discount so it would really be a difference of about $17/month for the ability to tether ($25.5 vs $42.5)

I guess the unlimited data plan isn't worth that much though now that they throttle you after going over 3gb (5gb for LTE) but I just can't help the feeling that Im somehow making a big mistake :(

Anyone out there who was in a similar situation and switched from unlimited to the Tethering plan on AT&T?

Is that even worth??

rans0m00

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Same situation and thought about changing but decided against it. Often when I travel I run quite a bit over the 3gb and by keeping the unlimited I get throttled but I do not get a higher bill. I have been pretty lucky though. Usually someone has a phone with tethering or I can find a hotspot.

lukedmor

macrumors newbie
Jul 24, 2012
I gave up unlimited so I could tether. You really never end up using all the gigs. I went to UIUC for a while and I know they don't have wifi in the dorms. My data plan with tethering was more than enough

Sketchr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Gave mine up last week to go on the mobile share plan. Didn't want to tolerate the throttling and wanted to use tether. Works for me. I still have my original ipad prepaid at&t unlimited plan. I don't plan on giving that up until they force us...

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
What's funny is there are people using international Galaxy S III's and HTC One Xs' getting TRULY unlimited data for only $10/mo. AT&T doesn't throttle them.

The trick is to supply them the IMEI of a dumb phone and then use your international S III. AT&T'system won't detect it as a smartphone.

To bad every iPhone IMEI is in their system.

Shanewilliams

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I never got throttled but I believe its edge speeds not just 10K.
To some Edge 2G is enough to listen to radio, check email and view sites without paying extra.

I've been throttled twice and the speed drop was aggravating! You are correct though, I was able to still stream from the tunein radio app, it was just video that was near impossible without significant buffering!

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
What's funny is there are people using international Galaxy S III's and HTC One Xs' getting TRULY unlimited data for only $10/mo. AT&T doesn't throttle them.

The trick is to supply them the IMEI of a dumb phone and then use your international S III. AT&T'system won't detect it as a smartphone.

To bad every iPhone IMEI is in their system.

I believe AT&T can only detect AT&T's cell phone, they don't have the database for every cell phone out there, but I might be wrong.

FYI, my wife is using an unlock tmobile blackberry curve and it won't show on OLAM

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
I believe AT&T can only detect AT&T's cell phone, they don't have the database for every cell phone out there, but I might be wrong.

FYI, my wife is using an unlock tmobile blackberry curve and it won't show on OLAM

Which was my point exactly. You can bring over a GSIII from Europe and pay for $10 media net and get excellent download speeds and have truly unlimited data. As long as the phone isn't in their system. They don't throttle.

I bet this makes those grandfathered people smile.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.