Has anyone ordered from olimek.com?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Trauma1, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

I was doing some online shopping and I stumbled across this online tech store called Olimek and I've never heard of it. They sell a lot of high-end, brand name consumer electronics and the price is less than half of the MSRP for some items. It seems to be a straightforward online retailer; it's not auction style, gimmicky, and it has the usual buyer-protection badges. I read their profile and they specifically say that everything is brand new and factory sealed, and that they to do not sell refurbished items. They claim they are a wholesaler and are able to offer wholesale prices. For example, they are selling $2,000 HDTVs for under $1,000 and current Macbooks for $600.

Does anyone know about this site, or have an insight on them? Their prices sound too good to be true, almost scam-like. I'm pretty discerning when it comes to picking out these sites. I Googled the company name looking for complaints or bad reviews, but nothing's coming up.

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Alright, I've done some extensive checking on this site (and I mean extensive) and from what I can tell, they are fake.

Here's some things I've checked out.

I first created an account on this site (using all fake information) and attempted to purchase something from the site. They informed me that PayPal was the only way to pay on the site. That sounds like a scam to me.

I then went to their "Contact Us" page. They had a phone number listed ((505) 796-8003) and I did a reverse lookup via the WhitePages. That number turns up as a landline number located in New Mexico with everything unpublished. I bet if you called that number, they won't answer as they have an asterisk next to the number and it says:
    I then proceeded to do a "WhoIs" on their domain name via GoDaddy. They used "WhoisProtector" (a service to prevent people to lookup your information) to register the site. That means anyone trying to find who registered the domain is out of luck.

Also, the domain name was registered on July 25th of 2009. Yea, alright...

ONE more thing, I just now completely checked out using PayPal on their site, after paying (using a made up address "fksalfjdskdjf@yahoo.com") they took me back to the main page.

How amazing....

3. chigger1432 macrumors newbie

Olimek.com

I, too, was interested in their super prices, but leary to buy. I called PayPal and spent 30 minutes with their technical support and security folks, only to learn that PayPal has no company named Olimek in their datebase. The PayPal people were unable to find them on the Internet, but I was clearly on their full functioning website. For PayPal, the www.olimek.com site would not come up.

I'm curious, how you can buy from them, be sent to the PayPal site to pay, when it is obvious the are a fake merchant? I haven't gone that far with a transaction yet, but I read another blog that did.

4. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

You are never taken to the PayPal site.

The end.

5. chigger1432 macrumors newbie

Olimek

I never went all the way through the buying process. What happens when you go to pay with PayPal?

6. sajmal macrumors newbie

7. Nic22 macrumors newbie

Be super careful with this site, It appears as if its sole purpose is to hijack your paypal account. During the purchase process it asks for an e-mail and password, the average Joe uses the same password / e-mail combo for everything. They could have your information and be jacking your account before you even click the confirm button that redirects back to the homepage.

8. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

If you go through the entire process, it never even asks for your PayPal account. Once you hit to Confirm the purchase, it just takes you back to their homepage.

So I'm pretty sure they're trying to hijack your PayPal account based on what you sign up for.

9. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

Ede's Beauty Salon looks mighty tempting. I bet they have some wicked quality/ affordable priced hardware in there!

10. Shaker0018 macrumors newbie

I also wondered about this site (olimek.com) and tried to purchase something with the result of being dumped backed to the main page. I emailed customer support and they replied to me with

"Hello,

Thank you for contacting Olimek Customer Service. My name is Helen and I will be happy to help you.
    For a limited time, Olimek offers this promotional price and 2 days free shipping on orders over $500.
    During this period, we reserve the right to take PayPal only from our returning customers,
    and the new customers can pay through Western Union, MoneyGram or E-gold.
    Please note: Items added to your shopping cart when discounted price and free shipping is in effect, but not purchased until after the promotion ends,
    will not receive free shipping and discounted price. Once an order has been placed, the full price plus free shipping for your order is set.
    Please try again to place your order online at www.olimek.com, and choose Money Gram, Western Union or E-gold as method of payment.
    After the order is submitted, the customer automatically receives the invoice (will contain all the details you need to complete the transaction).
    We have a shipping location in United States and Europe so we can get your order to you much quicker than anybody else.
    Depending on your location and our stock levels, your order will be shipped from the best one.
    Most orders will be shipped within 48 hours (usually on THE SAME DAY) after payment is confirmed.
    If there is anything else we can do to assist you, please contact us at customerservice@olimek.com
    We are always happy to help.

Sincerely,
    Helen Minut

Customer Service Department
    http://www.olimek.com"

After logging back into the site I now had an option for wiretransfer and paypal (if I chose paypal it would just dump me back to main page)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Any online business that accepts Western Union and wire transfer reeks of scam. Wire transfers let you send money pretty much anywhere in the world *cough*Nigeria*cough* and you usually have no recourse to get the money back if you get screwed.

12. ciberabr macrumors newbie

13. Love macrumors 68000

Love

14. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

Seems the site has been taken down, thankfully. Looks like the suspicions of phishing, fraud, being a scam site have resulted in its removal. Hopefully it won't pop up somewhere else under another domain name. Usually comes back to...if it seems to good to be true, it probably is.