Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Aside from one post (which has no replies) in the iOS Apps and Arcade Arcade forum, I'm surprised that nobody is discussing this on MR yet. All the reviews I've read have been overwhelmingly positive, the one complaint being that third-party plugins not sold in the Apple Store aren't supported yet. Given that I have Logic Pro on my Mac and GarageBand on my iPad Pro, I figured that Logic Pro for iPad would be redundant. I've only started playing with it, but so far, it seems pretty cool. Some features are better suited to the touch interface than to a keyboard. I'm strictly an amateur songwriter and musician, and Logic is overkill for my needs, but I bought it a decade ago when the price of the Mac version dropped to $200 and GarageBand lacked features I wanted at the time.

For you pros and serious musicians who use Logic on the Mac: Have you tried the iPad version? Are there situations where you'd use it instead of or in addition to the Mac version?

For you amateurs who don't have the Mac version, can't justify the expense, and are primarily iPad users, but who have been curious about the Mac version: Have you tried the iPad version?

As for the subscription model: The $200 I spent on the Mac version so long ago has to be one of the greatest software bargains of all time, considering all the features Apple has added over the years, at no charge. I therefore don't begrudge them $5 per month or $49 per year for a fully featured professional app. I can easily spend $49 for one meal, two drinks, and tip at a mid-level restaurant. I dislike subscription models as much as anyone, which is why I have only a few, but I understand why companies do it. I plan to keep paying for it after the free trial, because there's so much to explore. If it were $10 per month, I probably wouldn't. Anything higher, I definitely wouldn't.

For the record, I wouldn't be happy if the Mac version goes to a subscription model. If it does, and I deem it too expensive, I'll switch to GarageBand, which now has enough features for my amateur needs.

For those of you who object to the subscription model on principle: How much would you be willing to pay to own Logic Pro for iPad, assuming you like the product?

Reactions: rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
For you pros and serious musicians who use Logic on the Mac: Have you tried the iPad version? Are there situations where you'd use it instead of or in addition to the Mac version?
I guess you could say I'm a "pro user." I have tried the iPad version, and it's unusable for me. I noticed it's really targeted towards beginners and electronic producers. It's almost like a glorified GarageBand—it doesn't have that many sounds other than synths, pianos and electric pianos, and I guess some organs. No orchestral instruments at all. All the sound packs are targeted towards electronic musicians, too—at least it seems that way to me.

I'm 100% reliant on third-party plugins and instruments, and since none of those are compatible on iPad, I can't use it either. I'm talking mainly Native Instruments Komplete and Orchestral Tools instruments that I've dumped quite a bit of money into.

So for me, no, Logic for iPad isn't usable. If the Mac version switches to a subscription, I'm switching to Cubase.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
Thanks for being a "first responder," rm5! Yes, one of the reviews I read said that the app seems to be geared primarily toward EMD musicians. I'm "of a certain age," and my major influences as a songwriter are from the 1970s and 1980s: Fleetwood Mac, Billy Joel, Elton John, Jackson Browne, Jimmy Buffett, the Eagles, Linda Ronstadt, Bruce Springsteen, U2, Dire Straits, Kate Bush, and so on. I like what to me are great melodies and meaningful lyrics, performed by great singers and great musicians, with great arrangements and productions. Obviously, few songs hit all of those high points, so it comes down to the best overall combinations for me. When I was young, I swore I'd never become one of those "My generation had the best music, and everything since has been crap!" people. I think I've remained true to that. I try to keep up with current music. I like a lot of electronica. I'm impressed with Taylor Swift (she's sort of a modern-day Joni Mitchell) and Lana Del Rey. Of course there's plenty of wonderful Americana (country/folk/blues/pop), which doesn't change much over the years. I consider myself a really good songwriter, a mediocre singer, and a mediocre musician. GarageBand is plenty for me. But what I like about things like Logic Pro for iPad is that they're ways to inspire my creativity and expand my horizons.

Reactions: DaPhox and rm5

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Thanks for being a "first responder," rm5! Yes, one of the reviews I read said that the app seems to be geared primarily toward EMD musicians.
Absolutely, always happy to offer whatever I can! I think GarageBand, and even Logic on the Mac to some degree (with Live Loops) are targeted towards EDM guys.
I consider myself a really good songwriter, a mediocre singer, and a mediocre musician. GarageBand is plenty for me. But what I like about things like Logic Pro for iPad is that they're ways to inspire my creativity and expand my horizons.
Oh, I'm sure you're more than a mediocre musician! I think for some people, GarageBand is plenty. Heck, when I was in LA doing that Berklee program, most of the guys had Logic, but there were two students that I can remember who just had GarageBand, and they were just fine! I think Logic's more advanced features, such as beat grouping, compound time signatures, track stacks, etc. are incredibly helpful, even for less experienced musicians.

Reactions: DaPhox

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2008
rm5, you're very kind and very helpful! 🙂

• Love

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
I’m not as pessimistic, I guess

I’m a long time Logic owner ( still have the 10 pound box sets for 4 & 5 I believe) - and I’m thoroughly impressed with the iPad version. IMO, it’s almost more intuitive than the macOS version and usage of the Pencil for MIDI and micro adjustments for AU plugins (WIDELY available all over the App Store, I’m sure VST support is otw) - of which I’ve got many dozens from my previous IAPs and app purchases that have been available for years and for other DAW apps on iPadOS.
if you don’t have the plug-in on iPad, why not just export it from your Mac to iCloud and import into iPad? It’s a massive project they’ve undertaken… both for Logic and FCP, but far and away Logic is the most comprehensive of the two pieces of software and is genuinely ‘fun to use’ creating a donut voiceover for a client or building beats for your new album.
Many albums have already been produced without Logic on iPad which have gone platinum - with the 19/20 single Bad Guy being produced on and by the ’GarageBand Pro’ gimped iPad, pre iPadOS!

sorry m5 but my assertion is that you have spent little to zero time at all on the iPad version of Logic. You’ve read reviews and formed your opinion about something you don’t know the first thing about and that’s not too cool.

If I had a complaint about the iPad version, it’s the fact that I can’t use my external T-7 USBC/TB external SSD for scratch with FCP and Logic.
the rewrite is spectacular, and for the v1, it’s almost magic after 20+ years using it on a desk/laptop

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
sorry m5 but my assertion is that you have spent little to zero time at all on the iPad version of Logic. You’ve read reviews and formed your opinion about something you don’t know the first thing about and that’s not too cool.
Uhhh, no. I haven't read a single review and I'm not forming an opinion based on something I "don't know anything about." I think I know what I'm talking about.

I spent a good couple of hours playing around with the iPad version. I think that's long enough to form a judgement about whether it's usable or not. Also, I'm completely entitled to say it's not usable for my needs, because it isn't. Could it be usable for other people? Absolutely. Me? No.

What makes you think that I don't know anything about Logic? I've been using it for years, and I think I have plenty of experience with it. I've taken classes on it, watched countless hours of video about it, and composed hours worth of music with it. I think that's enough experience, don't you? Whatever, you're entitled to your opinions and I'm entitled to mine... idk what else to say

Last edited:
Reactions: O.N.Y.X

akdj

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2008
62.88°N/-151.28°W
@rm5

i certainly didn’t say anything about you not knowing ‘anything about Logic’

But spending a couple hours with it and coming to the conclusion you did is silly, ridiculous really. I’ve never seen an app so sophisticated and with so much parity with its macOS sibling that is capable of making a reasonable decision about how it won’t work for you.
I’ve spent a month with it and continue to find improvements and features that beat the macOS app, bu you have a few hours?
I just don’t believe anything you said, that’s all. Sorry. Especially since you admit to spending a few hours with it, I doubt you have spent anytime with it after reading your comments about it. It sounds like you have no time on the iPad version, honestly.

and the App Store is chock full of plugins that you can use, but you’re a professional;) lol

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
@rm5

But spending a couple hours with it and coming to the conclusion you did is silly, ridiculous really. I’ve never seen an app so sophisticated and with so much parity with its macOS sibling that is capable of making a reasonable decision about how it won’t work for you.
I’ve spent a month with it and continue to find improvements and features that beat the macOS app, bu you have a few hours?
I just don’t believe anything you said, that’s all. Sorry. Especially since you admit to spending a few hours with it, I doubt you have spent anytime with it after reading your comments about it. It sounds like you have no time on the iPad version, honestly.

and the App Store is chock full of plugins that you can use, but you’re a professional;) lol
maybe he just doesn't like the touch version

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
maybe he just doesn't like the touch version
Not only that (I just HATE touch input), but also the whole thing with no external plugins, means that umm, it just won't work for me. If they add support for plugins in the future, it'd become much more usable

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
@rm5

Why are you trying to ridicule someone else's opinion just because it doesn't agree with yours? RM5 has very clearly stated his use-case, not least that he requires continuity to use the external (and expensive) AU plugins he uses on the Mac. So for RM5, it's currently a no-goer. Why is that so offensive for you?

I'm pretty much in the same situation with regards to plugins, though I'm an 'Arturia guy' rather than a Komplete guy. Also there's still a truckload of advanced features yet to be ported from the Mac version to the iPad version, any one of which could be a showstopper for someone.

TLDR: why are you ridiculing people who have use-cases that are different to yours?

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I'm 100% reliant on third-party plugins and instruments, and since none of those are compatible on iPad, I can't use it either. I'm talking mainly Native Instruments Komplete and Orchestral Tools instruments that I've dumped quite a bit of money into.

Same experience for me ... I downloaded and played around and it is a good app and fun to play around with. Then I started asking whether I could use it to replace Digital Performer ... and no.

And this is the reason - back in the 80s/90s/00s I consumed an entire room with multi-tier synth stand and rack synths and effects into a mixer and tape multitrack. All of that is on my Mac now ... but not the iPad.

So it is fun, and I have the year subscription so I play around with it ... but when I actually want to DO something I grab my Mac.

rm5

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2022
United States
Same experience for me ... I downloaded and played around and it is a good app and fun to play around with. Then I started asking whether I could use it to replace Digital Performer ... and no.

And this is the reason - back in the 80s/90s/00s I consumed an entire room with multi-tier synth stand and rack synths and effects into a mixer and tape multitrack. All of that is on my Mac now ... but not the iPad.

So it is fun, and I have the year subscription so I play around with it ... but when I actually want to DO something I grab my Mac.
Even if they do eventually add support for external plugins, the iPad's lack of RAM is gonna be an issue... I also find the lack of orchestral instruments to be incredibly annoying, too.

Reactions: txa1265

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
i think that Mac versions of Logic and even Garageband are far better suited for audio work than the iPad version.
IMHO, not rejecting value of iPad's pro app, of course.

Reactions: txa1265 and rm5
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.