Has anyone read the Thinking in C++ books?

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by chrono1081, Mar 14, 2011.

1. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Hi guys,

I was wondering if anyone has read the "Thinking in C++" series. I'm very familiar with C++ but I know its only on a hobbyist level not on a professional level. There are things I see in code (such as advanced macros and templates and things) that I never use but I know they exist. It looks like the second volume of this book covers what I want:

http://www.amazon.com/Thinking-C-2-Practical-Programming/dp/0130353132/ref=tag_stp_s2f_edpp_cplusplus

Supposedly its good to read the first and second version (according to reviews I've read). I was just wondering if anyone here has read them and what you think of them.

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Basically what generally gets said is that if you want to be a good C++ programmer you should read through them at least ones. I tend to agree with that opinion. You can grab e-copies of the books from the author's website: http://www.mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites

3. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

As well as Effective C++, More Effective C++ and Effective STL.

4. chrono1081 thread starter macrumors 604

chrono1081

Thanks so much for the link! I had no idea they were free e-books too.

I've been eying those. They are in my cart on Amazon.com as we speak.

I've been using C++ from a games standpoint for years and I know that I don't know near everything and there is stuff I see in code that is not in any book I have, which is why I am hoping these help fill those gaps.

Thanks for the info guys :)

5. Hansr macrumors 6502a

6. subsonix macrumors 68040

Haven't read these but, "C++ primer" and "The C++ programming language" by Stroustrup. The first one starts of in C, while Stroustrups book is denser and deeper. All in all, both are good picks IMO.

7. Hansr macrumors 6502a

In contrast with the above, Stroustrup's books are good but very dry.

8. subsonix macrumors 68040

Yes very:). On the other hand it's a good reference, even though, yeah it takes patience to read it from cover to cover.

9. danwilliams macrumors member

Thinking in C++ does an excellent job at taking you from C to C++. (At least when I read it last...version 1) I recommend the book.

The other books mentioned by others I recommend as well.

Another item (book or online) you may want to check out.

http://www.parashift.com/c++-faq-lite/faq-book.html