Has anyone received a replacement refurb for their 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ycoidi2000, Aug 19, 2008.

1. ycoidi2000 macrumors member

The fine people at Apple had to order me a replacement iPhone 3G, and I was wondering what the chances were that it was new or a refurb. Has anyone received a refurb for a replacement, yet?

2. bori macrumors member

I don't know. I went through 2 at one Apple Store, and they both came from white boxes. Don't know if they're refurb or new though.

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I had one replaced, but I brought my box, receipt and the accessories and they opened a brand new box for me.

4. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Mine was replaced at an apple store and the guy pulled out a white box and took out an iphone which had the plastic stuff stuck to it. I asked if it was refurbished and he said it was new. That seemed to be the case, since there were no marks or signs of use at all on it. Someone else on these forums said apple makes new "service units" without accessories or the typical packaging so that people can just exchange faulty phones without bringing back all the packaging.

5. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

they wouldnt even replace mine even though apple support set up my appointment to do so, said it would do no good.

6. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

How do you know if it is new or a refurb? My husband got a replacement sent to him because his silencer button broke off. The phone came in a smaller box. It has a 5K serial number from week 32.

7. Mad Max24 macrumors member

Had mine replaced on 8/18, and it was a brand new 16gb right out of the box. Since I didn't bring my old box with the usb, headset, power adapter they couldn't give it to me.

8. Opie macrumors 6502a

Opie

Apple guy told me that the 5k are not refurbs but just ones dedicated to replacements. Both of my replacements had 5k but the life timer was 0. Either way the warranty stays the same so it's all good.