Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Wanting to order one of these but I am waiting for someone to say its great and not hyped. I am sure its great but just want to be on the safe side.

So has anybody gotten theirs yet?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Are you kidding? Can't you read?

It will ship in mid November according to the announcement.

If you order today, you'll get a ship by date of November 22nd.

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Bear said:
Are you kidding? Can't you read?

It will ship in mid November according to the announcement.

If you order today, you'll get a ship by date of November 22nd.

Yeah, kind of like virginia tech got dual 2.3 servers before they were even announced right? So basically this post is not for you but for people that might have gotten them early.

Zoowatch

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Sheffield, UK
i'm waiting for Quad's benchmarks in november too...

i believe Apple stores clearly state that it will only be shipped in 3 to 4 weeks time

Chad A Wright

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
I've got a ship date of "on or before November 17th"

I ordered it as soon as the store came back up after the announcement.

Chad

MacTruck

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 27, 2005
One Endless Loop
Screw it. I just ordered one. Added wifi and bluetooth to it but upped the shipping to overnight. After the last free shipping fiasco with apple $61 is worth not going through it again. Anyways says 3-4 weeks ofcourse but waiting for exact ship date.

Quad here I come. This means my dual 2ghz is for sale, and probably my powerbook if anybody wants.

Ok Est. Ship On or before 11/22/2005.

Modano

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
Chad A Wright said:
I've got a ship date of "on or before November 17th"

I ordered it as soon as the store came back up after the announcement.

Chad

I ordered mine (CTO, not stock) as soon as the store came back up after the announcement too, but I've got a 11/17/2005 estimated ship date. The 18th is a Friday, so I hope it arrives on time to occupy my weekend! :)

Chad A Wright

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
I ordered it CTO as well. Added wireless and upped it to 1GB Ram. I think that was all. I figure whether it is stock or CTO, they aren't rolling off the assembly lines yet, so we'll probably get them at the same time either way.

I paid for the overnight shipping, so it better be here on Friday to amuse me. If not, I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off.

I ordered a 30" ACD at the same time, and of course it already arrived. So now I have about 3 weeks of this beautiful monitor just sitting here, doing nothing. I don't have a machine that will drive the thing at full res. It's kind of sad.

Chad

VanMac

macrumors 6502a
May 26, 2005
Rampaging Tokyo
Chad A Wright said:
I ordered it CTO as well. Added wireless and upped it to 1GB Ram. I think that was all. I figure whether it is stock or CTO, they aren't rolling off the assembly lines yet, so we'll probably get them at the same time either way.

I paid for the overnight shipping, so it better be here on Friday to amuse me. If not, I'm taking Monday and Tuesday off.

I ordered a 30" ACD at the same time, and of course it already arrived. So now I have about 3 weeks of this beautiful monitor just sitting here, doing nothing. I don't have a machine that will drive the thing at full res. It's kind of sad.

Chad
Nice. I'm waiting for it to hit the local Apple store, but thinking of the 30" as well. :D

zugzuglani

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
I have the same ship date fwiw.

I ordered 47 minutes after Apple Store came back online, and have an "on or before 11/17" ship date. I also ordered the 30" ACD, which should arrive tomorrow. I'll keep checking this thread for news of deliveries :)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
issue222.jpg

Had to post that somewhere :D

zugzuglani

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2005
Called Apple

Called Apple to feel them out. They couldn't give me any updates other than "On or before 11/17", as I expected. Anyone have any inside scoop on what their build process is, and readiness for delivery?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
zugzuglani said:
Called Apple to feel them out. They couldn't give me any updates other than "On or before 11/17", as I expected. Anyone have any inside scoop on what their build process is, and readiness for delivery?
Well, in the case of the Quad, they first have to finalize the deisgn (possibly) and testing of the design.

Once your order goes to manufacturing, it won't be a long wait at all, yet it'll seem like forever. I ordered a CTO Quad when the store came back online (9:51AM PDT) and also got the ship by 11/17.

Chad A Wright

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
I noticed that everyone seems to be ordering the Quad CTO. I did, just to get the wireless package and a little more RAM. But, can anyone well me why a $3,200 machine doesn't include a wireless package standard, like say a $1,300 iMac?

That is irritating.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Chad A Wright said:
I noticed that everyone seems to be ordering the Quad CTO. I did, just to get the wireless package and a little more RAM.
more disk, more ram, wireless stuff.

But, can anyone well me why a $3,200 machine doesn't include a wireless package standard, like say a $1,300 iMac?

That is irritating.
Because a lot of places that order PowerMacs do not want wireless anything on them. Businesses for one.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Modano said:
Then that should be a downgrade for a discount, IMHO.
So you want them to increase the price another $100 and then offer a discount if you don't want it? It'll work out to the same price in the end. There's also the fact that more people will need to order CTO machines.

Chad A Wright

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2005
Either way, I want wireless, and I don't want to feel like I'm paying extra for it. :)

Mine is for my business, unfortunately, my office that we are building right now will be a good distance from the broadband connection, so wireless is the way to go for me.

"AppleInsider expects Quad in second half of November:"

Doesn't the 17th count as the second half? I sure hope so. The 30" they shipped me is getting lonely with nothing to run it.

Chad

Modano

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2003
New Orleans
Bear said:
So you want them to increase the price another $100 and then offer a discount if you don't want it? It'll work out to the same price in the end. There's also the fact that more people will need to order CTO machines.
Er, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted them to raise the prices, just that I want to get as much for my money as possible. It seems there's a disparity when even, for example, the low-end iMac includes Bluetooth and Airport, yet I had to pay extra to add it to my Quad, which already costs more than double the iMac's base price! I hear what you're saying- that Apple will just raise the prise and pass these costs along to the consumer- but why include these things on the consumer models and leave the "pros" out in the cold?

RHutch

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2003
Amsterdam, OH
11/22

I ordered mine on 10/22 and got a ship date of "On or before 11/22". I already got my two 23" displays. I can hook one up to my PB, but the other one will just sit there for about 3 more weeks.

I am really hoping for the "before" rather than "on".

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
.... No Wireless For You :d

Modano said:
Er, I didn't mean to imply that I wanted them to raise the prices, just that I want to get as much for my money as possible. It seems there's a disparity when even, for example, the low-end iMac includes Bluetooth and Airport, yet I had to pay extra to add it to my Quad, which already costs more than double the iMac's base price! I hear what you're saying- that Apple will just raise the prise and pass these costs along to the consumer- but why include these things on the consumer models and leave the "pros" out in the cold?

Leave the 1300$ i mac, a 900$ ibook has wireless too. I suspect it takes less than 40$ to put Airport+Bluetooth in a computer. I guess this is another case of apple trying to extract as much profit as possible. The standard wifi and bluetooth options are thrown in when there are no processor or other improvements. So apple wants to keep them as things that they can use when they offer the next round. But i suspect instead of taking a 40$ less profit they actually make 60$ more by making you buy seperately. Powermacs are used mostly in places where 100 vs 1 giga bit ethernet makes a difference so... all this just does not matter ... if Steve thinks you do not need it ... you donot need it, now be a good boy and get along! :p :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.