Has anyone removed their Otterbox Defender screen membrane for iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Bugeyeblue, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Bugeyeblue macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

I don't really like the extra screen protector that comes on the case since I already have one on the phone. I'm mostly concerned with too much dust getting in with removing the extra screen protector, and that dust scratching the phone. Just wanted to know if anyone has done this and what the outcome has been.

2. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

3. Bugeyeblue, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2011

Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

How did you get it out, by cutting, or just pulling it out? You have a screen protector on the phone?

4. b-rad g macrumors 6502a

b-rad g

I believe it's just glued around the edges so I think most have just pushed it out. I stopped using my defender because I got tired of the screen protector and have been caseless for the last 5 months. I don't know if I can put a case back on, but I may try it w/o the screen protector.

5. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

6. theonekcrow macrumors 6502a

theonekcrow

I did too and got a case friendly Invisible Shield, works great together!

7. Steve99 macrumors member

I removed the membrane last week, so far I love it. No need for a screen protector.

8. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

This is the very reason I went with the Commuter... simpler and just as protective when it comes to drops.

9. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Have you taken off the case to see if there are any scratches from dust and little particles getting in through the screen area? This is really my only concern.

10. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

Ok, I pushed out the membrane. The screen looks so nice now, having the otterbox and the membrane removed looks and feels great. I'll report back with any issues if I have any.

11. Bugeyeblue thread starter macrumors 6502a

Bugeyeblue

After about a day of use without the membrane on, I took off the case to see how everything looked. There was a LOT more dust and debris than usual (I do keep my phone in my pocket, and I was exposed to a lot of airborne sawdust). I'll probably have to clean it out every couple of days to keep the back and steel antennae scratch free. But it is nice to have the screen showing the display without the extra fuzzy membrane.