Has anyone restored from a Time Machine Backup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by The Californian, Aug 5, 2009.

1. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

Was it as easy as Mac implies?

What else do I need to know?

Thanks - Eric

2. Kirkafur macrumors member

Assuming all the files you want are backed up, it is really easy.

Let it do it's thing and your computer is restored. A few small things like Mail need to take a minute to sort themselves out the next time you launch them, though.

3. The Californian thread starter macrumors 68040

The Californian

To be specific, I had a 2006 MacBook Pro and am expecting my mid-2009 MacBook Pro to arrive tomorrow ... I have my 2006 MacBook Pro completely Backed Up a la Time Machine ... Should I expect any difficulties?

4. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It would be a lot quicker using Target Disc Mode. You will need a FW400 to FW800 cable or an adaptor though.

I would recommend connecting by ethernet if you do take the Time Machine route.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

it really is that easy. I have done it multiple times on multiple computers.

As has already been said, ethernet ftw :)

6. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

Worked fine for me. My 'Contribute' needed to be reinstalled though

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Ive done it a few times yea, and it really is as easy as they say. If you want to a do a full system restore I think you have to restore through booting up from your mac os leopard dvd. I did a full restore on my iMac (around 200gb) and it took a few hours, but worked perfectly! [​IMG]

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've restored various files from TM and once I did a full system restore. The latter was a bit slow but it worked as advertised. TM is a great utility, taking the fuss and muss out of doing backups and worrying about what's included.

It saved my bacon a few times and I'm really happy it works as it should :D

9. GAS macrumors regular

I did this just a few weeks ago. However DO NOT use the restore system from backup option! If you do this you will not be able to adjust screen brightness or use internal speakers.
    Simply use the migration assistant and use your time machine backup as the source.

Hope this helps.

10. marcypark macrumors newbie

That was not the case what I got my replacement unibody 13" MacBook Pro. I restored from backup and the system was setup exactly like my previous one. Just my experience, but I do not see why it would lock out the brightness and speakers.

OP - Restoring from backup works if you go that route. It is quick (depending on how much is being transfered) and painless. Apple really made the process seamless.

11. caonimadebi macrumors regular

ONLY use TM restore when you're restoring to the same computer. For example, if your HDD crashed and you installed a new HDD, you can just restore (basically it just copies the original "image"), all your settings and files are restored.
    If you're upgrading to a new machine (or if there's the slightest difference in hardware between the two machines) you should use the migration assistant to migrate files from your TM backup. When you start up your new Mac for the first time, you'd be asked if you want to transfer files from another mac, you can either plug in the old mac Mac with FW, or simply plug in the external drive with TM backup (USB is fine too), and most, if not all files and settings will be transferred seamlessly.

12. caonimadebi macrumors regular

I TM restored from a 13" uMB to a 13" uMBP, which I thought would be similiar enough to simply restore. But the brightness and volume keys didnt work, and I had to reinstall and migrate from TM backup.