HomePod Has Anyone Retained The Plastic Protector On The HomePod?

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by donster28, Feb 21, 2018.

1. donster28, Feb 21, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2018

donster28 macrumors 68000

I didn’t remove mine ‘cause I’m a little OCD, especially on the Space Grey...LOL!

Has anyone done the same or removed it? I’m not sure if the top panel is made of scratch resistant material or not.

UPDATE: Ended up removing it and doing a test wipe. Minute marks appeared after wiping a tiny portion with a fresh micro-fiber cloth (when observed with bright lighting)..not really thant noticeable at quick glance and not that deep but they're there if you look. So yeah, it’s darn plastic!

2. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I removed mine, doubt the top will be getting touched often, if ever in my house at least.
    Wonder who’ll be first to do a stick-on protector for the HomePod, some company is bound to.

3. csurfr macrumors 68020

I believe the top of the HomePod is made of glass.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I see no reason to keep it on. I'm not sure you think it will get scratched when at most a finger tip is going to be touching it, and nothign else.

5. donster28, Feb 22, 2018

donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

That’s great if it is! It’ll be less prone to minute scratches.

Funny, I already saw a protector being sold online LOL...just search for “HomePod screen protector”.

6. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Bloody hell they don’t waste any time do they, first it was pointless overpriced coasters and now this :D

7. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

In my experience, plastics tend to be prone to minute scratches even with just wiping them to clean them. I would think Apple uses glass nowadays on surfaces that are meant to be touched. I’m just hoping glass is what’s on the HomePod.

8. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Does no one yet know?

9. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

There’s a mention on ‘Mashable’s’ review that it’s glass but I haven’t found any other reviews mention the same.

I’m afraid to experiment on mine and there are no demo units here in Canada yet so I cannot confirm if just simply wiping it can cause tiny swirl marks. So the plastic stays on for now...me and my OCD, LOL!!!

10. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Surprised iFixIt didn’t clarify or JerryRigEverything hasn’t abused it.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

If it's plastic, microfiber cloths and plastic cleaner work great. If it's glass, microfiber cloths and no-ammonia, no alcohol glass cleaner. The trick is really to use quality microfiber cloths. Paper towels and regular rags will micro scratch plastic and also leave lint.

But take off the plastic. It's for shipping purposes. It looks crappy, will eventually peel off, and the device wasn't designed for it to be on there, could trap in heat.

12. donster28, Feb 22, 2018

donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Man, thanks to you, I removed it and immediately after doing a test wipe with a fresh microfiber cloth, minute swirl marks appeared (under bright lighting). So there you go, it’s plastic, not glass!

--- Post Merged, Feb 22, 2018 ---
    Yeah, me too. I guess since it’s not really as intriguing as an iPhone glass.

13. Diane B macrumors regular

I only touched mine once—when I set it up. I just invoke Hey Siri, etc to do whatever. i have found asking for percentage of volume works really well—i know what I prefer and don’t have to ask to increase or decrease and don’t have to use the + or -.

14. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

I was surprised there was no mention of it. One of the photos where they are removing said panel though looked as if it bent in a fashion I wouldn’t expect glass to tolerate.
    But that could just be a trick of the lens with the angle the shot is at.

15. spacemnspiff macrumors 6502a

spacemnspiff

I have a relative who is OCD like that, every device has the ugly plastic protector and has been for years, collecting dust on and in it. And some of them have bubbles and are on surfaces that don't get touched.

And surprisingly his iPhone screen is cracked from clumsy drops. What gives?

16. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

That’s a little too much. If I see the plastic is compromised even a little, I will peel it. There is more possibility debris will be damaging the actual surface when this happens.

The HomePod’s plastic is very securely attached (the only thing sticking out of it is its peel-off handle). Even removing it takes a little force so it would have stayed and lasted for many years. It’s like an actual screen protector on it.

17. TrueBlou macrumors 68040

TrueBlou

Having stared at the iFixit photos for, probably too long, I'd put good money on it being a sturdy plastic piece rather than glass. I'm just still not convinced it wouldn't have cracked (which it didn't) during that removal step if it were glass.

What I do find interesting is that whatever material it is, it is just an aesthetic piece for touching.
    By which I mean it doesn't have any integrated touch-sensing capabilities. Rather, it would seem, there is a capacitive matrix on the board sitting below the surface piece to detect touches. Similar to how Google has implemented touch on their Google Home.

18. donster28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I agree.