Has anyone run Linux on a MacBook Pro 1,2?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JoannaCW, Jan 23, 2017.

1. JoannaCW macrumors newbie

I have a MacBook Pro 1,2 with a 2.16 GHz Intel Core Duo processor and 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM. I've had difficulties with trying to run 32-bit Xubuntu on it-everything is fine until the computer suspends, either on its own or because I've shut the laptop lid; then it wakes to a dark screen. I've read some online Linux articles which suggest that some machines just don't support the suspend/hibernate functions as Linux has them.
    Have any of you run any form of Linux successfully on a machine like mine? I am trying to figure out whether I have a distro-specific bug or a Linux-incompatible machine.

2. rutrack macrumors member

Linux is generally not suspend friendly and might not wake up from sleep. You can ssh into it after wake up and restart xdm.

3. JoannaCW thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks!
    Is there any alternative to suspend during periods of inactivity? Do you lose a lot of power by just letting the screensaver run indefinitely (if that's even doable?) Can hibernate work better than suspend?
    How would I ssh in after wakeup and restart xdm? (How do I get it to wake up the display as well as the processor?)

4. rutrack macrumors member

The problem will likely be with the XServer, so the quick fix is to restart it. You need to enable the ssh server, and ssh into your laptop from another computer. You can also try to drop down to terminal with Ctrl+F1 and login in to console. Hibernate works even worse. Is there a quick fix ? There should is, you should see what's preventing your computer from waking up, it could be some module that fails to reload. To be honest I haven't run linux on laptop for a long time now, I just have a VM with it, which is significantly more convenient.