Has anyone seen a Genius repair room?

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by Merkava_4, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Merkava_4 macrumors 6502a

I'm just curious. I imagine the room must have some work benches and some chairs to sit down on while working on the computers - and probably a lot of test instruments too. Every time I go to the Apple store, that room is always heavily guarded and kept secretive. Even the door leading to the room is the exact same color as the wall. You wouldn't even know there was a door there if it wasn't for the door handle. :D

2. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

Was there today. Its not that special...it looks like a highschool tech shop if you ask me.

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I read your title wrong. I was picturing a room where managers were repairing geniuses. But that's just silly.

4. Merkava_4 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Are the bench tops padded? I imagine they might be in order to protect the delicate parts of the machines.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope. Just a table/flat surface. Like the an earlier post stated, a high school tech shop but a lot more cleaner.

6. paddingtonpear macrumors member

This is what a genius room looks like prior to the store opening. The arms have an iMac mounted on for instructions etc. Pictures courtesy of ifoapplestore.

Genius Room
    [​IMG]

Stockroom and standard care
    [​IMG]

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

They were at the store I worked at. They used blue mats that were also anti-static.

8. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I would imagine it's very similar to any other repair room to be honest. Not sure what they could do differently other than the service.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Does anyone have a pic of where they keep all the iPhone refurbs?

I'd like to see that! :D

10. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I have only seen the very small Apple stores which send their repairs out and thus no backroom. The Apple store near me took over a 300 square foot space that was once a woman's boutique but I would like to see a full sized Apple store like the SF one I saw being built, or one in Los Angeles. This store may have times where they don't have a Mac mini, or all MBP models, or a Mac Pro on the floor. And since the greater prominence, or should I say absolute dominance of iPhones and iPods (and related accessories), the floor space has become even less computer related. One table that used to have MBPs got converted into a iPad love table. :)

I don't mind since entire days go by w/o a MBP selling but manager said they have sold about 14 iPads a day since introduction!

Luckily, there is an authorized Apple dealer about four times that size within a few miles that repairs both Macs and PCs and if I want to see every single piece of software or hardware computer related, then I go there. :)

11. secondhandloser macrumors member

No antistatic mats?

12. aristobrat macrumors G4

The store I worked at had anti-static mats, and they actually used them (i.e. Geniuses wore the little bracelets).

13. lPHONE macrumors 6502a

lPHONE

I would like to see WHO refurbishes them and WHERE they do it. (sweatshop in China?)

14. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

It's been said that many refurbs are sold as new.

15. hi res macrumors member

hi res

source? not being a "you know what," just interested to read about this...

16. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Thanks for the sneak-peek into the backroom.

Gotta say it looks very...sterile. Though I'm not sure what else I would have expected.

17. bizzle macrumors 6502a

They don't all look so new and fancy.. and huge. The store I worked at had sometimes up to four people at a time working in it, plus an admin and the GR was the size of a closet. Some are worse. Christiana Mall's old store's GR was even smaller, and a mess.