Has Anyone Seen a LED HDTV Yet? Amazing!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Rapmastac1, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

2. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

Do want.

How frequently can I buy a new TV before it becomes rediculous? Once a year?

3. tdgrn macrumors 6502

i think that they are really sweet, and your local best buy has them on display. just don't lick them...:D

4. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

Don't be derailed by the attractiveness of that tv's casing. The picture, when compared to Sony's KDL46XBR9, is lackluster at best. Retail pricing is actually better than Samsung's LED as well. The Samsung is also only 120Hz and the XBR is 240Hz. The boast is energy savings, but who really watches 10 hours of TV a day. I know that I don't because I'm supposed to be at work (surfing MR) not home watching TV. I'm the director of purchasing for a retail establishment and I've been in this business for years. This Samsung 7000 series is all hype because of the casing. Picture pales in comparison to similarly priced other units.

5. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Apples and oranges, dude. Of course retail pricing is better on a CCFL backlit TV, the technology is cheaper. As for the 240Hz technology, that is only going to be discernible to some people and then only at certain times. I'm not saying its a bad TV, not at all, but you are trying to compare these two TVs on two different technologies. Personally, I've seen both and much prefer the LED backlighting to any CCFL products out there.

I'm hoping to buy the 46" version of this later this year.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Do want.

Although I've never quite understood the desire for very thin TVs like that. My LCD is a couple inches thick, but the stand it's on is about a foot and a half from front to back, as long as the TV's footprint fits within the stand, it's fine with me. I would want that TV for the LED backlight, not for the thinness.

7. dalvin200 macrumors 68040

of course i want one.. but what about the hundreds of cables that you still have to have dangling about? that's my biggest problem and spoils the simplistic approach

8. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

I'm just telling you from my personal experience... I've got them sitting literally side by side in a controlled lighting environment separate room, both ISF calibrated... coming off an HDMI distribution amplifier from Sony ES Blu-Ray player and the XBR is head and shoulders over the LED Samsung 7000 series in picture quality alone.

9. Finlandboy macrumors 6502

Finlandboy

yah, me and my friends went to best buy to kill some time. we stubbled upon a display for the led tv. we were standing there staring at it and watching the movie playing on it (King Kong, it looked ridiculous). then like out of a movie, a best buy employee walked up in complete silence, stood next to us, then after a minutes of watching it he said "im speechless", then he walked off....we were cracking up after he left, lol.....but anyways the tv is amazing!!

10. Fizzoid macrumors 68020

Fizzoid

My Dad bought one of these for his retirement, pretty nice piece of kit, puts my LG to shame

11. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I could see the XBR8 series, but not the XBR9. But hey, to each his own.

12. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

h0e0h

not to derail the thread any more with Sony, but believe it or not, the Sony XBR8 was in the same room, same situation and the Samsung actually looked better. The Samsung may be the "best" LED display, but when compared to flat panels in the same price point, it's not the best looking.

13. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

That's what a receiver is for!

14. InvalidUserID macrumors 6502a

InvalidUserID

Our firm has one in the reception area/lobby.

First time I saw it, I did a double-take and stopped dead in my tracks. My co-worker almost bumped into me!

15. Dandaman macrumors 6502

My parents got a couple (uncle knows someone that works for samsung, got a nice deal on them). The thing is amazing. I love how the TV is as thick as its remote control!! :eek:

16. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Do want here, too.

Ooooooooooooooooooooo, 55". Fiscal responsibility, I laugh in your general direction!!

17. Rapmastac1 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

I would rather fart in its general direction...

But whenever I do things like that, I get the same in return. When can I win?

While I think this TV is amazing - there is really no need for a "super-thin profile" tv where I'm at. Especially when I consider the entertainment center I'm using. Once my 360, PS3, and all other game systems become as thin as that tv, we'll talk.

The picture quality was really good but I really didn't have much to compare it to as it was out in the middle on a display panel.

I'm fine with the tv I have now, but this LED tv is sexy - have to admit that!

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

I hear ya there. What I do find appealing about the thinner profile is with respect to wall hanging. These TVs tend to be lighter and since they are thinner the weight is held closer to the mounting point, putting a little less stress on all parts involved. Wall mounting makes me really nervous with such expensive things, but I would be willing to try with this one.

19. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

I have--I've seen the Samsung UN55B8000 55" panel playing back Disney/Pixar's Cars on Blu-ray disc and the sharpness, color clarity and black level clarity made you want to do this: :eek: Even DVD playback looked good--I asked the dealer to play back my copy of the Extended Edition of Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King and the color clarity and sharpness was excellent, though of course you can see the resolution limitations of DVD.