Has anyone seen this before?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alexanderpala, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Alexanderpala macrumors newbie

Anyone have any idea what this means? I'm using a 2008 aluminium MacBook running mavericks

Attached Files:

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Looks like your HDD isn't being found by the computer.

3. Alexanderpala thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I'm not that tech savvy, what causes it and how do I fix it? Had a new hard disk installed about 6 months ago

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Either the HDD died, or your entire partition table was wiped. Were you doing anything with Disk Utility before this happened?

If it's the HDD, they fail. They're mechanical and it happens. They can last ten years, ten months or ten minutes. So to hear that you had a new one put in six months ago isn't out of the realm of possibility that it went bad. Have you dropped it recently or has it experienced any trauma?

You may need to get a new HDD and hopefully you have all your stuff backed up with Time Machine or another backup software suite.

5. Alexanderpala thread starter macrumors newbie

I've not dropped it or done anything with the disk utility. It was working an hour ago. Do you think my local mac store will be able to do anything about it? Anything of value is backed up with iCloud but I could really do without spending any serious cash at the moment. Also got a fair few movies on this thing which haven't been backed up and not purchased through iTunes

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If the HDD is in fact gone, the data on it is gone as well. Unless you want to pay mega bucks to have a company get the data off of it.

Your local Apple Store can fix it up for you, but you'll have to pay for it. It'd be worth it to call them and ask how much it would be.

7. Alexanderpala thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll give them a call in the morning, thank you so much for all your help. I was having a good day as well

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

If you're savvy enough, you can buy a new HDD and put it in yourself. Ifixit.com has great how to guides with pictures and step-by-step instructions.

http://www.ifixit.com/Device/MacBook_Pro

If not, good luck and I hope they take care of you for a reasonable price. :)

9. Alexanderpala thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll get the apple people to do it, buying a new disk isn't an issue, buying a new laptop would be an issue. Work is gonna be fun for the rest if the week without my computer