Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

onchad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 10, 2011
I know that there are a few tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion pre-release users to get it to work, but are there any tricks for Outlook and Windows users yet?

funkyfedaykin

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
I dunno about any "tricks" to working it yet, but i'd sure like to! I will make some comments about how I've gone so far though.

I found that iCloud is generally buggy on Windows with Outlook '07 (yes, I know it's only a beta). I couldn't sync my contacts no matter how I tried. It always seemed to drop out when it came to syncing contacts photos, even after I deleted the photos.

The interface isn't very user friendly & doesn't really tell you what it's doing e.g; whether it's setting up a permanent link or a one time sync (will test shortly).

The most frustrating thing of all is that it doesn't just link/sync into an existing calendar/tasks file, but rather extracts all the information & creates a new folder (like a .pst file) in outlook where it shows all the information. See image...

For me this is especially annoying as:
A: my personal & work stuff is in now the same place
B: My calendar can't be seen by others in the workplace
C: I can't keep the up to date versions of other peoples calendars on my phone.(which is the whole purpose of using the cloud for us)

I thought it should work like an itunes sync with a iphone, eg; tick calendars you wanted, and then it would merge without moving them.

Edit: When installed on outlook, iCloud has a little "refresh icloud" that i assume you press once you have some changes to share. updating is pretty seamless on the iphone end.

Also, for some absurd reason during my testing and fiddling my phone cancelled appointments in my calendar and sent emails to all the attendees. I then had to send out subsequent emails informing everyone that it was a lie, meetings were still on...

Attachments

• iCloud & Outlook.jpg
    iCloud & Outlook.jpg
    420.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:

danorama

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2011
could you disclose the settings you used to get it to work? I've not had any luck with windows mail 2011 or outlook 2010 in getting it to be able to communicate with the icloud server

dchao

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2008
I know that there are a few tricks for Snow Leopard and Lion pre-release users to get it to work, but are there any tricks for Outlook and Windows users yet?

I don't see why not. iCloud use standard IMAP/CalDAV/CardDAV protocols.

Easy to find IMAP server settings from Mail account pref. But CalDAV and CardDAV settings are all hidden. Maybe someone can dig them out from plist files.

My Mail app is currently using: p04-imap.mail.me.com

rowley

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
London, UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I guess we will know in about two weeks time when Lion is released.

thunderbunny

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
Cheshire, UK
could you disclose the settings you used to get it to work? I've not had any luck with windows mail 2011 or outlook 2010 in getting it to be able to communicate with the icloud server

just set up via the iCloud control panel for windows. Works fine with Windows 7 / Outlook 2010

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.