Has anyone set up O2 mail as IMAP?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Xorro, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Xorro macrumors regular

Xorro

I'm trying to set up my O2 (UK) email account on my iPhone (as it was free with the O2 account).

I can set it up as pop, but when I follow the instructions on the O2 website, to make it IMAP, it doesn't make sense.
    http://www.o2.co.uk/iphone/emailsetup

For instance when setting up a new email account as 'other' it seems to default to pop, with no option for selecting IMAP.

Can anyone help?

Thanks.

2. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

On the account screen there is a big button on the top which allows you to switch between POP and IMAP. It's so big one tends to miss it. Fell for the same problem myself. I haven't setup O2's IMAP server myself, but have setup other IMAP server.

3. Xorro thread starter macrumors regular

Xorro

Any chance of a screen print? I have checked in mail settings and advanced, and also in the mail account itself :s

I am trying to add the account on my iPhone, not via Mail or any other app.

4. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

Here you go

Attached Files:

5. Xorro thread starter macrumors regular

Xorro

Strange, but my 3GS doesn't have that.

I have Gmail as IMAP, but the software sets that all up automatically. (When you select the Google mail option)

Attached Files:

6. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

For accounts like gMail and MobileMe the phone know what type it is. However if you select other on the account type selection it will give yo the options on the next screen. Since you want to setup O2, select "Other" rather then gMail.

7. Xorro thread starter macrumors regular

Xorro

8. lostinspace2011 macrumors member

9. Xorro thread starter macrumors regular

Xorro

When I enter the details it verifies the account, then moves to the next screen and says 'pop account verified' and thus the account is now pop, no option to select imap or anything.

Now, I am a programmer so I do have the ability to understand the screen in front of me and I'm absolutely certain that I am following the on screen instructions correctly :)

10. infobleep macrumors regular

This is an old thread but in case any one else comes across it whilst doing a google search and is frustrated by the lack of a solution, I've just found one.

When setting up an o2 account, click other.

Next instead of entering your o2 details, simply enter in a load of gibberish. Anything you like as long as its gibberish.

iOS won't understand this rubbish and you will then be presented with the screen to choose between imap and pop3 accounts.

IOS is trying to be clever when you enter in your o2 details so you have to be dumb to thwart it.

Now you can enter in the imap settings. I can't provide these as I've still to do that part and get them from o2, which I'lll do another day when I get time. I'm assuming o2 offer imap. From what I've brifely read, I believe they do but if anyone knows different then please reply here.

Never did I expect gibberish to be a solution when using my iPod Touch but that's Apple for you. I doubt it will be in their reference manual.

Kind regards

11. Kavichauhan macrumors newbie

@infobleep - thanks for your post, its been most helpful!

However, have you or anyone else managed to find out the o2 imap settings? I can only find the pop settings everywhere I look and read?

Thanks